Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Wellness Activity: Using The Right Side of My Brain (Part 1)

I have learned that when I'm really tired, and can't seem to rejuvenate myself--even with the right amount of sleep--it's usually because I need to clear my mind a bit. And, in order to do that I need to switch from using my left brain (the more analytical side) to my right (the more artistic side). So, for the rest of this week, rather than taking a few days off from blogging, I'm going to post photographs instead. Next Monday, I'll begin writing again.

Today's photographs were taken by Walker Evans, an American photographer (1903-1975) who was best known for documenting the Great Depression. However, the three photographs I'm sharing show some scenes of New York, which I really enjoy!

Brooklyn Bridge, 1929
Lee Gallery

Truck and Sign, 1930
Metropolitan Museum of Art

Broadway, 1930
Metropolitan Museum of Art

2 comments:

KJ said...

Does that really work? I have never tried it. I have never even heard of that changing the side of the brain we use. I am going to try that.

Wellness Writer said...

Dear KJ,
Yes, there really is such a thing, and perhaps I should provide the supportive research.

The idea is that the left side of your brain is the analytical side,and the right is the more artistic side.

So, activities like drawing, playing music, dance, and a whole slew of other things are right brain things. I've found that if I switch the side of the brain from which I usually operate, it's truly relaxing, and I don't have the same thoughts.

Susan