Thursday, September 3, 2009

Wellness Activity: Maintaining a Positive Attitude

Last Saturday, I spent the afternoon shooting photographs with my digital photography class. It was the first "group shoot," and I was very disappointed with my photographs. The goal of our class is to shoot photographs for a group show.

We met on Monday night to critique our shots, and mine were the worst of the lot. But, rather than feeling bad about it, I decided I could look at what my classmates shot and learn from them. And I did.

Today, I had promised to shoot "head shots" for my cousin who's an actress. Rather than approaching the shoot in a negative way because I'd done so poorly last week, I approached it in a positive way because I'd learned so much on Monday night. And not only did I have a great time, but I got a lot of really good shots.

My approach to photography is the same approach I use in seeking wellness, and in living my life. I believe I'll be successful. More importantly, I believe that if I try hard enough, I'll overcome any obstacles that are preventing me from achieving my goals.

I believe there are two kinds of people in this world. Some see the glass as half empty. Some see it as half full. Which kind of person are you?

8 comments:

Tamara (TC) said...

Glad you were able to turn your disappointment in your photos into a positive learning experience. How did the "head shots" for your cousin turn out?

Life is so much about looking for the positive and accentuating that. I would have to say that I am a half full person... most of the time anyway.

Hugs,
Tamara

Wellness Writer said...

Dear Tamara,
The head shots turned out great. One was better than the next. And, from everything you write, you're absolutely a half full person!

Hugs to you!

Susan

marja said...

I'm usually half full, but you know there's times...when I'm tending to depression. But when I'm well I'm a very positive person.

And about photography. I've been having my photographs critiqued for almost forty years now at a club I go to and have learned so much from that. Your attitude was exactly the attitude you need to have....but you know that :)

Wellness Writer said...

Dear Marja,
You're definitely a half full person. And the way I see it, when we're depressed, we're still half full people. We just might be running on empty for awhile until we can fill up the water glass or gas tank again.

And thanks for letting me know about your critiques at your photo club. I had no idea that someone as talented as you are would still be critiqued.

Susan

KJ said...

I am sometimes half full and sometimes half empty! I guess for me it depends on the circumstance. I definitely think I am for half full now than ever!

marja said...

Susan, Someone as talented as me? You don't know all the pictures I throw away! I did a shoot this morning of a toddler and I doubt whether I have any real winner in there. And that's after 1 1/2 hours of intense shooting. Photography is a lot of work. And that means taking hundreds of pictures to get only a handful of really superb shots. That holds true for professionals as well.

By the way. Have a look at my Firm Place blog. I've posted a couple of the bookmarks I created recently.

Wellness Writer said...

Dear KJ,
And I definitely agree. You are truly half full to me!

Susan

Wellness Writer said...

Dear Marja,
I know photography is a lot of work, but I'm having so much fun that it all seems worth it.

I'll have to remember to check the Firm Place blog. I'll have to find your email to find it. Yesterday, my son upgraded my system, and I lost all my bookmarks, but I have a much faster and better computer.

Susan