Friday, September 25, 2009

Ebbs and Flows Again

Ebbs and Flows
by Hilda Green Demsky


This was a difficult week for me in many ways. But, life is about ebbs and flows, and on the whole I'm dealing with things much better than I used to.

On Monday, we had some work done on the roof of our house--and while it was a necessary expenditure--it certainly isn't a fun way to spend hard-earned money, is it? I was so exhausted when the roofers left that I took a two hour nap.

On Tuesday, I opted out of a writing and wellness conference I was going to attend in Atlanta in October, where I was going to lead a Blogging to Heal workshop. I realized that the stress was adding to the low-grade depression I've been experiencing, and I can't afford the airfare and accommodations. While I felt bad about cancelling, my top priority always has to be my health.

I also started my new botany class, which was a good thing, but a bit stressful as well. And I had a communication problem with a new friend...and that made me feel sad. But, I let her know how I felt, and we've resolved it, and now I feel much better. Late in the afternoon, I received the most wonderful book and card from another new friend...and that made me feel really good.

On Wednesday, I was dragging all day...and did chores, read a chapter from my botany book, and took my son for a check-up at the eye surgeon's (which was good since my son is recovering so well). While I was waiting for him, I had a lovely cup of iced tea at one of my favorite bakery/restaurants, and spent a half hour reading a new gardening book, which made me feel better.

On Thursday, I spent the entire day cleaning our house, organizing a ton of files at my desk, and meeting with a young woman from my photography class who will help me learn Photo Elements, and help me create a new web site for my soon-to-be-renewed freelance writing career. And, I felt like I'd accomplished a lot.

Today, if the weather cools off a bit (it was in the low 90s yesterday), I plan on gardening all day. I need to stop thinking so much, relax by working in the soil, and see if I can lighten my mood.

Hope everyone has a happy weekend! See you on Monday.

8 comments:

Writing Works said...

Sounds like you had an interesting week!! Hope you have a wonderful time gardening today and that your weekend is relaxing.

Wellness Writer said...

Dear Writing Works,
I'm not sure it was very interesting :), but I did use a lot of coping skills. And, I plan on having a relaxing weekend. Thanks for the good thoughts!

Susan

shawnalyne said...

I love the way gardening restores my soul and my sanity! What shall we do over the long winter????

mmaaggnnaa said...

Hi, Susan -

It sounds like you are really taking good care of yourself and taking time for the joyful activities. I'm proud of you!

- Marie (Coming Out of the Trees)

Wellness Writer said...

Dear Marie,
Thanks so much for noticing. I appreciate it.

Susan

Wellness Writer said...

Dear Shawnalyne,
I'm sorry to have to admit this to you, but I live in Los Angeles and can garden all year round!

Susan
P.S. I have no idea how people who live in other climates cope with the long winters without gardening!

Tamara (TC) Staples said...

Susan,

It sounds like overall you had a very good and productive week. There were a couple of blips but you worked through them. I think you are sounding really healthy! I just read an interesting explanation for S.A.D. and if I can find it again, I will come back and post it for you.

Hope you were able to get your gardening in. We are just cooling off here and expecting rain. I am ready.

Hugs,
Tamara

Wellness Writer said...

Dear Tamara,
Yes, you're quite right about this. My purpose in writing it was that I realized there can be blips in a week without going into a depression, and that it's important for me to counter them by doing something I like.

Susan