Friday, September 4, 2009

Courage Boosters for Writers

Since today is Friday, and it's been such a busy and exhausting week for me, my post today is a list of courage boosters--always a good way to end a week--for writers from The Courage to Write: How Writers Transcend Fear by Ralph Keyes. They are as follows:
  • Read about successful writers, paying attention to their fears and how they dealt with them.
  • Take a writing course or two.
  • Attend an occasional writers' conference.
  • Join a serious writers' group.
  • Develop anxiety-easing rituals, no matter how eccentric.
  • Devise fear-taming work techniques, no matter how gimmicky.
  • Write at times of day when you're most productive and least anxious.
  • Identify your censor in chief and mentally rehearse how to deal with that person.
  • Get to know yourself well enough not to be too terrified by what escapes from within onto the page.
  • Convert fear into excitement.
  • Write.
It all sounds like good advice whether it's about writing or how to live your life. Have a lovely weekend. See you on Monday!

12 comments:

More Than Conquerors said...

Dear Susan,

Thanks for sharing this list with us. Very useful and informative.

Hope you have a lovely weekend too! Take care.

Best wishes,
Nancie

Tamara (TC) said...

My favorite: Convert fear into excitement.

Thanks! And, have a fantastic weekend.

Hugs,
Tamara

marja said...

Hi Susan,

If I were to add to Ralph Keyes' list, I would say: journal often, if not daily, in a personal journal or blog.

marja

Wellness Writer said...

Dear Nancie,
Glad to hear from you. Hope you're feeling better! Glad you liked the list.

Susan

Wellness Writer said...

Dear Tamara,
I was thinking of you when I posted this list. Glad you like it!

Hugs back at you!

Susan

Wellness Writer said...

Dear Marja,
I agree. Between my blog and my daily journal, I have a lot of info at my fingertips that I can use later.

Susan

Annie said...

Hello Susan,
I have come back to blogging and your site is the first one I read. I look forward to an active exchange with you. I found the post helpful and ideas I will put to use.
Peace, Annie

Wellness Writer said...

Dear Annie,
So glad to hear from you. I'm delighted you're back. Let me know if you're blogging again and I'll add you to my blogroll. In the meantime, I'm look forward to seeing your comments!

Warmly,

Susan

More Than Conquerors said...

Dear Susan,

Just dropped by to let you know that I am thinking of you and praying for you. May you have a great week ahead!

With love and prayers,
Nancie

Wellness Writer said...

Dear Nancie,
Thanks so much. I hope you're feeling better, and you're in my thoughts as well.

With love,
Susan

Wendy Love said...

Susan,
This list is wonderful! I am going to make a physical copy of it and put it on my bulletin board right in front of me! thanks for another good idea.

Wellness Writer said...

Wendy,
Glad you like it!

Susan