Thursday, August 27, 2009

Taking Charge of an Illness (Part 1)

In anticipation of Fall, which is usually when my yearly depression starts, I've developed a new program to stave it off. It is as follows:

1. I've gone to a hypnotherapist and discussed that there's no logical reason to feel worse in the Fall. She put me in a "trace" like state, and we worked on getting rid of the feelings that are preventing wellness.

2. Since January, I had been in therapy, and dealt with any and all issues I believe were holding me back from healing completely. It's been terrific. I finished last week, but we've discussed that if I feel at all unwell when the weather changes, we'll resume, and see what we can do about it.

3. I've also gone to a sound, vibration, and light healer. Again, if there's a problem in the Fall, she'll see me as well.

4. I realize that when I feel depressed, I can't write, and thus have a problem with how to constructively spend my time. My participation in the Gardening and Horticulture program at UCLA Extension resolves this problem. Not only am I enrolled in a Botany class, but I'm involved in two pro bono programs at schools, and am setting up another volunteer gardening relationship where I can work every day if I don't feel like writing.

5. I'm engaged in a photography project with my teacher and classmates from the high school night school program. This is another right brained activity that I can work on in the Fall.

(to be continued)

10 comments:

More Than Conquerors said...

Dear Susan,

I am so glad to read that you have developed a new program to cope with your condition. It is encouraging to see your determination to manage your condition and your actively taking steps to do so. I think this is very crucial. I am learning to do so too.

Thanks for all your encouragements. Take care and keep in touch.

With love and prayers,
Nancie

Coffee Table said...

Thanks Susan! Your timing as always, is impeccable! I'm off to take charge.
Sue

Wellness Writer said...

Dear Nancie,
Thanks for your lovely and supportive comment. As you know, I continually work to take charge of this. But, through therapy and through meeting some new healers, I have some new ideas to implement this year!

We'll see how it goes, but I'm quite encouraged.

Susan

Wellness Writer said...

Dear Sue,
Thanks for commenting. I'm glad you're "off to take charge." I strongly believe that "taking charge" and problem-solving can dramatically reduce the symptoms, if not alleviate them.

Many BIPS tend to feel powerless about all this. I never have. If people can cure themselves of cancer, why can't we stabilize our moods?

Susan

KJ said...

Great plan! I love how you empower your wellness and your life! Awesome!

Wellness Writer said...

Dear KJ,
And I love how supportive you always are! Thanks my friend!

Susan

Tamara (TC) said...

Good for you for being so proactive as you come upon a difficult time of year. I hope this fall and winter are easier on you and that your projects continue to bring you joy!

Wellness Writer said...

Dear Tamara,
I'm always proactive, but what I do doesn't always work!:) But, because of my therapy, I think everything will be different this year. (I'm also an eternal optimist!)

Thanks so much for all your comments this morning. It was nice to awaken and read them.

Susan

Tamara (TC) said...

I didn't word my comment very well because you are definitely one of the most proactive people I know. It did sound like that you had some new strategies that could be very effective. I am glad that the therapy is all helping and that you are so loving things like the gardening. I know as you keep honing your approach to dealing with the bipolar or depression, you are bound to find the perfect combo. I wish you a season of nothing but health, happiness and peace.

Hugs,
Tamara

Wellness Writer said...

Dear Tamara,
Actually, I did understand what you wrote, and felt it was very supportive. I was just kind of kidding, albeit not.

For years I have tried to stave off this fall depression and haven't been successful. So, I am trying new methods, and I'm hoping what we discussed in therapy will make a difference.

But, know that I understood you were being supportive.

Hugs back at you!

Susan