One of the most important wellness activities I do when I'm well is to write a gratitude list. The items can be big or small, but I believe it's important to be mindful of what makes me happy, and what I'm thankful for. Here's today's top 10 list.
1. I'm grateful my last depression is over, and I feel well every day.
2. I'm grateful my overall health is so good, and that my recent mammogram was "normal" after an abnormal one last year (that turned out to be nothing, but frightened me for a week).
3. I'm grateful my son (whom I love completely and unconditionally) is so much happier.
4. I'm grateful my husband has so many hobbies and interests and remains so thrilled to be retired.
5. I'm grateful I've discovered gardening and digital photography as new passions.
6. I'm grateful I'm resurrecting my professional writing career, and will be co-writing a garden article and book.
7. I'm grateful that despite years of depression, I still have a coterie of very dear friends (and a few extended family members) whom I love and who love me. And, for the first time in years I'm meeting new people I genuinely like.
8. I'm grateful that after 27 years of marriage (our anniversary was earlier this month), I still love my husband and he loves me.
9. I'm grateful that I've learned so much in therapy that I feel confidant I might end these depressions once and for all.
10. I'm grateful we adopted Jack, our adorable terrier-chihuahua mix rescue dog, who's a marvelous companion, and with whom I've re-established my twice a day walking schedule.
For what are you grateful? If you post a gratitude list, I'll link to it. If you just want to mention a few things, please leave a comment.
If you're depressed or feeling blue, I urge you to reach down in your soul, and find one thing you can feel grateful for. I used to do this, and it always makes a difference--even if it just causes a brief feeling of happiness.
P.S. I just went blog visiting (actually I'm swamped with work and need to begin writing), but I saw that KJ had posted her own gratitude list yesterday, so consider it linked to mine.