Monday, June 22, 2009

Physical Illness Versus Mental Illness (1)

We had a lovely Father's Day yesterday. If you like action/caper films (with violence, I must add), you might enjoy The Taking of Pelham 123, a fast-paced remake of a film we saw many years ago. (After reading the reviews on Rotten Tomatoes, you should probably make your own decision on this; I guess I'm one of the few people who liked this film.) Afterwards, we went to a wonderful sushi restaurant in our neighborhood. And, while we were walking out of the restaurant, I tripped on the front step, and fell.

I broke my fall by reaching out with my left-hand (I'm left-handed), and thus I sprained my left wrist, and still hurt my right knee and ankle. Today, almost every muscle in my body hurts, but other than that I'm okay. Last night, as a I lay in the bathtub soaking, I thought to myself,
"The most uncomfortable physical discomfort is easier to cope with than any depressive episode I've ever experienced."
And that's some statement coming from someone who's survived more than 100 depressive episodes. (to be continued)

P.S. I don't recommend The Taking of Pelham 123 for the feint-hearted or for children.

6 comments:

Paula Joy said...

So sorry to hear about your fall!! I pray that you recover quickly!

It's a funny thing about physical injuries, isn't it? They may be uncomfortable, but at least you are thinking clearly. I'd have to agree with that one. I's much rather have a broken leg then to be feeling like I did when I was at a mental low.

It's like words, too. The healing from words takes a much longer time than a physical injury. That's why verbal/psychological abuse has such lasting implications.

Good topic!!

Thinking of you today, and hope you can rest!!

Wellness Writer said...

Dear Paula,
You're a dear, and always so thoughtful. Actually, I can't rest for one minute today. I've got a thousand commitments, but other than limping and wearing a bandage on my left hand, I can function.

It sure beats having my armpits hurt like yours do with the crutches (smiling face). So, I guess I should be grateful.

Susan

Paula Joy said...

Yes, and my armpits sure have been hurting lately! :)

Kaden got his cast off today - one down, one to go!

I posted about you today.

Wellness Writer said...

Dear Paula Joy,
I'm off to take photos for my photo class that meets tonight so I won't be able to read your post until about 10:00 my time. But, I will read it before I go to bed.

Kaden must be very happy!

Love,
Susan

Emma said...

Oh Susan,
Poor you! Ouch! I do sympathise, as another left-hander who found herself unceremoniously deposited flat on her bottom on Sunday! I was walking down a steep path, quite slipppery (obviously!), my feet flew out from under me, and then thump!
I was holding an umbrella at the time which I suspect was a blessing, because I couldn't put my hands out to save myself! Nothing damaged except my pride, and a rather tender posterior! Am now a little stiff, but all is well. Do hope that you are not too uncomfortable, and heal quickly. I would agree that the physical discomfort of my fall is far easier to accommodate than the mental challenge of a nose-dive into depression.

Wellness Writer said...

Dear Emma,
I have to laugh at the image of falling with an umbrella. It seems far superior to falling flat on my face...which would have happened if I hadn't braced myself with that glorious left-hand, which is mending quite nicely.

But, you're sweet to tell me of a like-embarrassing-situation.

Susan