Thursday, May 28, 2009

Wellness Garden

While I'm still under the weather, I thought you might enjoy a few photographs of my plot at The Learning Garden, where members of my gardening class garden. To me, it's really a Wellness Garden because my participation represents so many aspects of wellness.

Specifically: 1. Meeting new friends. 2. Spending time outdoors. 3. Finding a new hobby about which I feel passionate. 4. Developing a new relationship with nature. 5. Learning about a new subject. 6. Finding a new area to read and write about, and to photograph. 7. Being part of a community. 8. Volunteering (After my class is over I intend to volunteer there). 9. Finding a mentor to teach me about something I don't know. 10. Feeling blessed that I only missed one class because of a physical illness.



Each photograph has a slightly different perspective. My plot isn't easy to photograph because there are other plots all around me, and a compost heap in back. But, at least you get a sense of what I've been up to.

And to end today's post, I'd like to share a quote on weeding that makes me smile from Gerald Manley Hopkins:
What would the world be, once bereft
Of wet and wilderness? Let them be left,
O let them be left, wildness and wet;
Long live the weeds and the wilderness yet.

6 comments:

Periwinkle said...

great photo's thanks for sharing them!

Wellness Writer said...

Thanks Periwinkle. I appreciate hearing from you.

Susan

Emma said...

I can not believe the changes in the garden since the first photographs you posted! Such a satisfying and rewarding 'wellness' project. The positive benefits spilling into so many different areas of your life.
An added bonus!
Do so hope you are both feeling better.
Emma

Wellness Writer said...

Dear Emma,
Thanks for noticing. It is kind of miraculous to me. This evening I brought home a bunch a basil, and some lettuce from my neighbor John's garden.

What a treat it is. This week, I'll be bringing home more herbs as I prepare to transplant my Learning Garden to my home garden.

And, I'm feeling much better, albeit I'm quite tired!

Susan

Gianna said...

beautiful!

Wellness Writer said...

Dear Gianna,
Thanks. I'm assuming your home now, and I hope you're feeling better.

Love,
Susan