Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Wellness Activity: Images That Make Me Happy (Part 3)

It's a pleasure to spend time thinking about what images make me happy. There are truly so many, but one of my favorites is dogs. I've written before about the value of Pet Therapy, and it's a miracle to me that something that makes me so happy could also be so therapeutic.

According to Holistic Online, "The therapeutic use of pets as companions has gained increasing attention in recent years for a wide variety of patients--people with AIDS or cancer, the elderly, and the mentally ill. Unlike people, with whom our interactions may be quite complex and unpredictable, animals provide a constant source of comfort and focus for attention. Animals bring out our nurturing instinct. They also make us feel safe and unconditionally accepted. We can just be ourselves around our pets."

While I wouldn't recommend that anyone who's feeling depressed adopt a puppy because they're just too much work, I'm big on adopting animals from animal shelters and rescue organizations. A great site for finding them is Petfinder.

Still, the following photos made me smile, and perhaps they'll make you smile as well. And if I go back to my slide carousel analogy that I wrote about on Monday, I must admit that it's a great idea to remove four slides (from my mind) about illness and replace them with these!







My dog Spike who died last year.



12 comments:

Periwinkle said...

Ok I just read some excellent comments about images that make us happy, what about sounds and they way they affect us? I love a baby's giggle and the sound of a helicopter, the only risky part of sound is when you here a particular song that takes you back to a sad time in your life, but then there are the great ones such as "Love Shack" by the B52's, or anything by Blondie or Fleetwood Mac for me. A song that gives me tears of joy is Amazing Grace. Anyone else have thoughts on this?
Periwinkle

Wellness Writer said...

Dear Periwinkle,
I totally agree about sounds. There are songs that bring back my youth, and others that make me sad. And, it's interesting to think about sounds too.

Susan

Cami Black said...

Susan, thanks for sharing the adorable pictures!
And I miss Spike too.
Cami

Wellness Writer said...

Thanks Cami. It's so nice of you to leave a comment about him!

Susan

Mariposa said...

You don't know what I want to do right now after seeing those lovely photos...i'm sitting here in a coffeeshop checking blogs (well just yours for now1 LOL) and I so want to run to the pet shot and grab some puppies! I love them all and not only they make me smile...gosh, they make me dream!

dipsydoodlingarounddepression said...

Susan,
Is it possible to have a smile in your heart and not on your face? That is where I was smiling when I looked at your dog pics. Thanks for that!
Wendy Love

Wellness Writer said...

Mariposa,
There's something about puppies, isn't there? We're going to adopt a dog (not a puppy), but I could just spend hours sitting on the floor petting puppies. Somehow, touching them and smelling them just makes me feel so good.

Susan

Wellness Writer said...

Dear Wendy,
Yes, I often feel that my heart is smiling. Glad the photos made you feel so good.

Susan

invinciblesummers said...

Susan,

sweet pictures and beautiful post in regards to pet therapy.

after i lost my sweet girl of 16 years-my husband and I adopted a boy who had been at a local shelter for two years. he was always passed by because he had been in a fight, almost died, had lots of scars, etc. Of course, I knew immediately we were meant for each other and he's now purring away in my lap.

i'm sure you've been here but just in case, http://cuteoverload.com/

i often go there just to smile.

Wellness Writer said...

Dear Invinciblesummers:
It is interesting how the problem dogs are passed over. Spike, who was my dear dear friend for 16 years, was passed over because he'd been abused and was really nervous and skittish among strangers.

And Pinot, who hasn't been abused, but growls when he's nervous, was passed over because of that!

But, he's so sweet and the growling has mostly gone away--with us--and it's only been two days.

Yes, I did happen upon the site you recommended. But, thanks!

Susan

Abagale said...

I recently came accross your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I dont know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.


Betty

http://adoptpet.info

Wellness Writer said...

Dear Abagale,
Welcome to my blog. Thanks for your comment!

Susan