Saturday, May 30, 2009

A Weekend of Gardening

As much fun as I've had at the Learning Garden, next Thursday is my last class, and we have to dismantle our gardens. Actually, we have three options. 1) We can take our plants home, which is what I'm doing. So, this weekend I'm transplanting other plants into pots, and preparing the beds where I'll transplant the herbs from my school plot.

2) We can keep our gardens and harvest them for the next few months, and dismantle them in August.

3) We can abandon them, and let students and volunteers harvest our crops and give them to homeless shelters in town.

All three options are good choices. In my case, since I'd never planted a garden before, and because my herbs are flourishing, I'm exciting about bringing them home. And my son has volunteered to help me, so I excited about sharing my new hobby with him.

But, best of all, I've now met my first gardening mentor, my teacher Nancy Harrington from whom I'm taking a pruning class this summer. Also, I met David King, the master gardener at the Learning Garden, and I plan to begin volunteering there on a regular basis.

Finally, I've met a host of new friends--fellow gardeners--with whom I have a lot in common, and I hope these friendships will flourish as we take classes together, and continue talking about gardening and life.

At first glance, when I signed up for this class, I thought it would be one-time shot. I was interested in learning more about gardening and wanted to redesign our background. But, now I know I've learned so much more.

It's a strange realization to think that I've spent most of my life loving nature, but not knowing very much about it. I guess I always viewed hiking and walking in state parks as a right brain activity. Since I spend so much of my time do research, when I was outdoors I turned off the analytical side of my brain, and just delighted in what I saw, smelled, and touched.

But, now I'm delighting in learning about the science of nature, plant classifications, garden design, vegetable and herb growing, and so much more. What a treat it is--at this stage in my life--to have discovered an entirely new passion--and still remain married to the same husband. Just kidding! Have a great weekend!

2 comments:

Wendy Love said...

Susan,
There is no medicine to compare with a new interest, something to be enthusiastic about! I am so happy for you. Enjoy that transplanting activity with your son, an added blessing.
Wendy Love

Wellness Writer said...

Dear Wendy,
I couldn't agree more. After my diagnosis, there were years when I felt that some of the people I know (particularly certain family members) were critical of me because I periodically find new passions.

Some stick and become lifelong pursuits. Others don't, but I still enjoy learning about something new.

Now, I realize I was right all along. You don't have to be bipolar to pursue new interests with passion. And when you pursue new things, it's only logical that you'll continue to love some of them, and your interest in others will wane.

But, as I read your comment, it made me realize that this has always been one of my best traits, and not something I ever needed to be concerned about.

Susan