Thursday, May 7, 2009

Bipolar Blogging

Now that I'm reading a lot of gardening blogs, I see major differences between posting about bipolarity, and posting about a hobby like gardening. The latter is so much easier.

However, in keeping with my promise to myself to spend this month relaxing, and to refrain from thinking about bipolarity so I can concentrate on my personal writing, I've decided to mention the topic in case someone else wishes to blog about it, but not to post about it myself (at least for now).

I have also begun to realize how exhausting it is to tackle difficult topics and try to write thoughtful posts five days a week. This evening, my husband and I saw The Curious Case of Benjamin Button with Brad Pitt and Cate Blanchett. And it was one of the most satisfying and thought-provoking films I've seen in a long time.

If I weren't taking this "mental" vacation, I would blog about it and tell you what similarities I see between Benjamin Button's disease and bipolarity. But since I am trying to relax my brain, I won't discuss it (at least for now).

I suddenly realize how writing about experiences and trying to make sense of them is very taxing. And even if what I'm writing about resonates with my readers, and helps people perceive things in a different manner, it takes its toll on me.

So, I'm thinking that perhaps there is a way to help others, but to do it in a different way so that I don't keep on burning myself out. It remains to be seen, but rather than spending one more minute thinking about it, I'm going to keep to my resolution, and rest by mind by sharing some images that I find relaxing.

A California Beach

A Lighthouse in Maine

Mottistone Manor Garden in the U.K.

A Waterfall in the Philippines

Tonight is my gardening class. So I'll post again on Monday. Have a happy and healthy few days!

16 comments:

Mariposa said...

I'd love to talk about Benjamin Button with you...I saw the same thing you did just did not dwell too much about it since the people I know who watched it did not have any idea about Bipolarity! And the line he said something like -- I wish you live a life that you're proud of and if not, I pray you have the strength to start all over again...just had me thinking for days...'til now! and WOOT...I tendered my resignation last Monday...and should be starting with another company soon! But I look forward to what you saw coming, me and IT Guy running a restaurant! Ha!

And the photos...hmmm...the waterfall looks familiar...ahem. And I love the beach...and that lighthouse reminds me of the movie The Ring!

Wellness Writer said...

Dear Mariposa,
I am always amazed that you and I see things in such a similar way. After my husband and I watched Benjamin Button last night last night, I was so exhausted I could barely write this post.

I said to him, "This is a film that makes you think about life in a different way."

And I believe bipolarity does as well. So, when I'm able, I will write about it and I am so looking forward to discussing it with you.

I'm also really pleased (but no longer surprised) that in a very long film like this one, the sentences that popped out at you popped out at me as well!

I hope you're fine with quitting your job. When I was working full-time, I changed jobs (and even careers) almost every three years, and no one could understand it. And I couldn't understand how they could stay at the same place year after year because it was so deadening to me.

And I'm glad you like the photographs. I picked one of the Philippines because I was sure you'd read this and comment. :-)(I'm hoping this is the symbol for a smiling face.)

Susan

marja said...

Susan! I'd given up looking at your blog because I thought you wouldn't be posting. But so glad to see your presence is still here. Great idea to post photographs. I might do the same.
Have a great time at your gardening class tonight. I have my writer's workshop in a little while, though I haven't written anything except my blogposts for a long time.
- marja

Wellness Writer said...

Dear Marja,
I'm finding that posting images is a great way to continue to connect with people, but not have to think about things in the same way. Have fun with your class!

Susan

Periwinkle said...

Oh my gosh, Susan, I used to change my jobs every two years and buy a new car every two years!! Now I understand why I did. Thanks
P

Wellness Writer said...

Dear P:
Interesting, isn't it?

Susan

More Than Conquerors said...

Dear Susan,

Thanks for sharing these images. It's so relaxing just looking at them :) I love the one on California Beach. It is so beautiful!

Hope you continue to have a relaxing time. Take care!

With love and prayers,
Nancie

Wellness Writer said...

Dear Nancie,
As always, glad to hear from you. I'm delighted you liked the photographs. I think the image you use is very relaxing too. I've always enjoyed it. Thanks for the good thoughts. Hope you're feeling well.

With love,
Susan

KJ said...

Just popping by to say Happy Mother's Day!

Wellness Writer said...

Dear KJ,
Thank you, and the same to you. Hope you have a lovely day!

Susan

dipsydoodlingarounddepression said...

Susan,
I love all of your images and would like to go and spend some time in each one. Wouldn't it be fun if we could just jump into the picture?!
Wendy Love

Wellness Writer said...

Dear Wendy,
It certainly would be fun to do that. But, the next best thing is to fantasize about it, isn't it?

Susan

John FW said...

Hi, Susan -

I've been finding myself exhausted from writing about what I've been through - I could never write five times a week about this stuff. There wouldn't be anything left of me! I want to write much more about healing and feeling so much better rather than focusing on all the darkness. Your resolution sounds wonderful, and relaxing photos are just the ticket.

Thank you -- John Folk-Williams

Wellness Writer said...

Dear John,
I'm so glad this works for you. In the past two years I've posted almost 550 times. And while my focus is wellness, it's still exhausting. But photographs do work,don't they?

And while I realize that some readers will have needs that I can't meet, I'll have to live with that. The bottom line is that personal wellness must remain my primary goal, and I need to be flexible in order to make that happen!

Susan

kimmie said...

i know what you mean about how taxing it is. i don't even try to post every day, it's just too hard. i try to get 3 or 4 posts a week out, and balance them between personal stuff and things i have to research, which seems to help.
i love the images, too, they're exactly the kind of thing i find relaxing.

kimmieCollas
http://keepingupwithlife.today.com

Wellness Writer said...

Dear Kimmie,
Welcome to my blog. It's amazing how relaxing it can be to think of lovely places rather than about chronic illness, isn't it?

Susan