Tuesday, April 14, 2009

The Inner Realm

I'm reading a book that I'm liking so very much. Jazz recommended it to me, and it's called Writing for Your Life: Discovering the Story of Your Life's Journey. Written by Deena Metzger (Her portrait is quite wonderful, isn't it?), a writer who has "spent a lifetime investigating Story as a form of knowing and healing," it's an extraordinary book, although I've only read a few chapters.

Today, I'd just like to share a quote from the book with you. Tomorrow I plan on writing about being an interior person. It's a topic that's been very much on my mind, and this book couldn't have come into my life at a better time. (FYI...Because the initial paragraph is so long, and would be difficult to read online, I've divided it into two paragraphs, but Metzger didn't.)

"Traveling to the inner realm, even though it is explicitly and absolutely ours, is often forbidden or constrained. Each of us knows the fear that if we speak our minds openly, we will be embarrassed or endangered. The reasons for this are obvious.

"About the inner world and its revelations there can neither be consensus or prior definition. The inner world is always, by its nature, every moment, for one's entire life, new territory. And, therefore, the inner world is always outside the prescribed behaviors, outside constraints, rules and regulations, outside traditional and legislative ways of seeing and behaving. Someone who lives in the inner world and abides by its rules is, almost by definition, an outsider.

"And there we have it: the fundamental contradiction and challenge of creativity. If we practice it, if we enter the inner world, we find ourselves outside the perimeter of conventional society--outsiders feeling all the loneliness of that disconnection. And yet we are simultaneously as far as we can get from loneliness because we are finally with ourselves."

10 comments:

Mariposa said...

Very nice! This is something to reflect on...I think I need to allocate time for inward journey.

Wellness Writer said...

Dear Mariposa,
It certainly is. Sorry I didn't visit your blog last night, I was just too tired. But I will later today.

Susan

Mariposa said...

Susan, do it when you can...meaning, you have the energy...the will...the time. I understand, as many times I've been there.

Gianna said...

love her!
I've put a couple of quotes by her on my blog at different times...this is one of them that resonates now:

A sacred illness is one that educates us and alters us from the inside out, provides experiences and therefore knowledge that we could not possibly achieve in any other way, and aligns us with a life path that is, ultimately, of benefit to ourselves and those around us.“

Wellness Writer said...

Thanks Mariposa! I appreciate it.

Wellness Writer said...

Another great quote Gianna. Thanks for sharing it!

Susan

preciousrock said...

Interesting! Thanks for sharing this quote. I'll look forward to hear more of what you think of this book.

Wellness Writer said...

Dear preciousrock,
Thanks for letting me know. I'll definitely post on it when I've read more. But it probably won't be for a few weeks. Metzger presents a lot of material for me to think about.

Susan

Tamara (TC) said...

Susan,

This sounds like a fantastic book. I have spent my life looking inside and feeling so lonely, at times, outside. I have always found it a bit difficult to make friends because I don't feel I quite fit anywhere. I have to go look at that book!

Hugs,
Tamara

Wellness Writer said...

Tamara,
This is truly a great book, and I think you'll genuinely like it. It's taking me a long time to read because there's a lot to think about.

And yes, it is sometimes difficult to make friends when you don't feel you "fit in." For me, these last 15 years have truly been humbling that way.

Hugs back to you!

Susan