Sunday, April 26, 2009

Are You a Left-Brain or a Right-Brain Person?

Yesterday, I spent three and a half hours in a nursery with my gardening glass. When I came home, I was tired in a good way. And it felt like my brain was relaxed in the same way it is when I play musical instruments, engage in sports, spend time in nature, or take photographs.

I decided it was because I utilize a different side of my brain with those activities. I have always thought of myself as a left-brain dominant person and a visual learner. Just for fun, I Googled "left-brain and right-brain" to see what I could learn, and found a free brain test, which I took. The first-time results were 64% auditory and 35% visual (a huge surprise), but 72% left-brain and 27% right-brain with the following summary:

Susan, you are mildly left-hemisphere dominant while showing a slight preference for auditory processing. This overall combination seems to indicate a well-working blend of logic and judgment and organization, with sufficient intuition, perception and creativity to balance that dominance.

You will at times experience conflict between how you feel and what you think which will generally be resolved in favor of what you think. You will find yourself interested in the practical applications of whatever material you have learned or whatever situation you face and will retain the ability to refine whatever knowledge you possess or aspects of whatever position you are in.

By and large, you will orient yourself toward intellectual activities and structure. Though not rigid, you will schedule yourself, plan, and focus on routine and continuity of operations, rather than on changes and disruptions

When changes or disruptions occur, you are likely to consider first how to ensure that such disruptions do The same balance is reflected in your sensory preference. You will tend to be reflective and measured in your interaction style. For the most part, you will be considered objective without being cold and goal-oriented while retaining the capacity to listen to others.

Preferentially you learn by listening and maintaining significant internal dialogues with yourself. Nevertheless, you have sufficient visualization capabilities to benefit from using graphs, charts, doodles, or even body movement to enhance your comprehension and memory.

To the extent that you are even implicitly aware of your hemispheric dominance and sensory style, you will feel most comfortable in those arenas which emphasize verbal skills and logic. Teaching, law, and science are those that stand out among the professions, along with technical sales and management.


Since I am so sure I'm a visual learner, I retook the test, and only changed the answers in which I had debated between two possibilities. This time, the results were 50% visual and 50% auditory, and 65% left-brain and 34% right-brain with the following summary:

Susan, you are somewhat left-hemisphere dominant with a balanced preference for auditory and visual inputs. Because of your "centrist" tendencies, the distinctions between various types of brain usage are somewhat blurred.

Your tendency to be organized and logical and attend to details is reasonably well-established which should afford you success regardless of your chosen field of endeavor, unless it requires total spontaneity and ability to improvise, your weaker traits. However, you are far from rigid or overcontrolled. You possess a degree of individuality, perceptiveness, and trust in your intuition to function at much more sophisticated levels than most.

Having given sufficient attention to detail, you can readily perceive the larger aspects and implications of a situation or of learning. You are functional and practical, but can blend abstraction and theory into your framework readily.

The equivalence of your auditory and visual learning orientation gives you two equally effective sensory input systems, each with distinctive features. You can process both unidimensionally and multidimensionally with equal facility. When needed, you sequence material while at other times you "intake it all" and store it for processing later.

Your natural ability to use your senses is also synthesized in your way of learning. You can be reflective in your approach, absorbing material in a non-aggressive manner, and at other times voracious in seeking out stimulation and experience.

Overall you tend to be somewhat more critical of yourself than is necessary and avoid enjoying life too much because of a sense of duty. You feel somewhat constrained and tend to sometimes restrict your expressiveness. In any given situation, you will opt for the rational, and learning of almost any type should be easy for you. You might need certain ideas explained to you in order to fit them into your scheme of things, but you're at least open to that!


Needless to say, it was food for thought. If you decide to take the test, not only is the summary interesting, but if you review the questions, it will explain how they rate the answers.

Questions for today: Are you a left-brain or a right-brain dominant person? An auditory or visual learned? Did the answers of the test surprise you?

6 comments:

Gianna said...

love it!!

look what I got!

I'm gonna put it on my blog too.

Gianna, you are moderately right-hemisphere dominant and have even preferences between auditory and visual processing, traits that might make people perceive you as "slightly off balance."

You are most likely to be slightly disorganized, a "dreamer" and a person who focuses more on the end result than the immediate task at hand. You are creative and spontaneous if somewhat lacking in direction and focus. You are a learner who is generally patient and a person for whom time is an ally, not an enemy.

You are more passionate than most people with regard to life and learning and recognize your own intuitive abilities. You have sufficient goal-direction to satisfy yourself and guarantee success without being or feeling driven. You are willing to be reflective about yourself and others without getting lost in rumination.

The balance of your sensory modes allows for both learning and expressive capabilities achieved by few. You are active and "seeing" while retaining an equally strong propensity for being reflective which slows you down a little but allows for a more comprehensive perception and analysis of situations and problems. You do not spend excessive time analyzing since you mostly trust your perceptions.

In all likelihood, you have a tendency to overcommit and cannot under- stand why others get upset since you operate on a different "time table" than they do. Your organizational abilities are frequently overwhelmed by the stimulation seeking and active nature of your mind as well as by the tendency to create new categories and gloss over details, making categorization and classification almost impossible at times.

To the extent that your career path allows for creativity and abstraction as well as a bit of disorganization, you should find yourself equipped to handle any learning that is required. Your own personal adjustment to your style should come naturally although you are likely to feel frus- trated by your own limited discipline and often wonder "Why?"

Though I have to say I've developed great discipline as I've moved through this process I'm moving through.

Wellness Writer said...

Gianna,
Very interesting, isn't it? Glad you had fun doing it!

Susan

Wendy Love said...

Susan,
That was neat! I did it too and when I discovered what a short test it was I thought "how could that tell them anything" but there it was, a description of me!
I am not sure whether I am left or right and I've even read the book!
Wendy

Wellness Writer said...

Dear Wendy,
I don't have a clue whether a test like this is accurate or not. But, between the two I took, it's definitely me as well. And it was kind of fun!

Susan

Mariposa said...

I think I did this test before, can't get to the site right now though but I remember I'm inclined to arts...that's left brain right? I'm a left handed person...so that means I'm inclined to the right brain?! Arghh...I need my coffee and sort this out! LOL

Will be back later for this...

Wellness Writer said...

Dear Mariposa,
The right brain is the more creative and intuitive side, and the left brain is the more analytical side. But I'm left-handed too, and that's what I'm going to post about today.

Susan