Thursday, March 26, 2009

Wellness Activity: Taking a Field Trip

Yesterday, in order to change my mood, I decided to visit Will Rogers State Park, one of the magical places in Los Angeles that reminds me why we continue living here.

Although I had intended to take a hike into the mountains so I could see the coast, once I sat on a wooden rocking chair on the porch and started writing, I didn't feel like moving. As I looked out on the lawn, I remembered my childhood--oh so many years ago--when my mother, father, brother, sister, grandmother, and I used to picnic in the park on a Sunday afternoon.

I began writing a poem about my grandmother when I heard the clop clop clopping of hooves on the driveway. It took a few minutes to register and when I looked up, I saw a man on a horse walking right up the middle of the lawn where we used to sit.

An hour later, when the sun was no longer keeping me warm, I moved to a bench and table in the picnic area, and continued writing. Again, I heard a noise, and looked up. This time it was a deer eating grass about 20 feet away. He'd scampered down the mountain while I wasn't looking. And a few minutes later, his mother and siblings joined him.












All in all, it was a glorious day. While I'm not always sure what my life's purpose is, or how to end a depressive episode, I do have these wonderful family memories to sustain me, an ability to experience great joy, and a deep love of nature and the outdoors!

10 comments:

Smadraji said...

Nice Posting
Gay

Gianna said...

wow great photos, great day!!

sometimes at moments like these that you had yesterday I think the awesomeness of life is purpose enough...

though that can be a transient feeling I think it's worth considering it's validity beyond the transient moment.

Mariposa said...

Oh, not hard to tell why you love the place...I can also sit there for hours...days...and just write and enjoy the view and the nice company of nature!

I wish we have places like that here...and I mean within my city.

Wellness Writer said...

Gianna,
I agree. It just felt good to be alive!

Susan

Wellness Writer said...

Mariposa,
I felt that way too, and didn't want to leave. I'm sorry you don't have places like this to go to in your city!

Susan

Wellness Writer said...

Smadragi,

Thank you!

Susan

Paula Joy said...

Susan, there's something about creation that always makes me feel at peace. God watches over those deer and makes sure they have food to eat. HOW MUCH MORE does He care about you and what you are going through??!! :)

I pray that you have peace today.

Wellness Writer said...

Dear Paula Joy,
I felt the same way too. What was so unusual was that the first deer came so close to me. Then his family came while I was writing about mine.

And, as I looked all around the park, those were the only deer I saw that had come down from the mountains!

Susan

duanesherry1 said...

Wow Susan.
What a wonderful day you had!

It's late, and I just took a late-night walk....was walking across a field, and a rabbit was in front of me....He let me get about two feet away, and then ran off....

No horses, no deer, just a rabbit, but it was pretty special nontheless.

Reading about your day just made mine close is such a special way!

Blessings to you and your family,

Duane

Wellness Writer said...

Dear Duane,
I think seeing a rabbit is a very special way to end your day! And blessings to you and yours as well!

Susan