Tuesday, February 24, 2009

A Letter from (Bipolar) Camp

Because my first post today was sad, and I'm truly feeling much better this afternoon, I thought I'd post once more. When I feel well, I sometimes write lyrics to songs that amuse me. For those of you who are old enough to remember, this song was written by Allen Sherman for his son Bobby with whom I went to high school. If you don't know it, I believe you can download the midi for free on this About.com site.

Anyway, here's my version of the song commonly known as Hello Muddah, Hello Fadduh. For those of you who know me, I have a quirky sense of humor so please don't be offended if you can't laugh at this illness. For me, laughter is a wellness activity.

1. Hello loved one, hello doctor
Here I am at Camp Bi-polar
Where the manics are quite cheerful
They talk nonstop so you really get an earful.

2. The depressives, are so sleepy
Some are crying; some are weepy
Most serenely lay in their bed,
And they rarely leave their cabins 'cept to get fed.

3. The activities, are quite pleasant
Special e-vents for all those present
Manic sky dives; depressive group snores
Where the winning team is giving yummy camp S'mores.

4. I'm a loner, but that's okay
'Cause I'm different in a good way
Hypomanic, not depressive
They're not sure they have a peer group I can bunk with.

Chorus
Leave me here, oh loved one, doctor
Leave me here, I love Bi-polar
Please don't take me back home
Where the pressures trigger manias and despair.

Leave me here, where I am okay
'Cause my peers are so not okay
Now, at last I am a mentor
To a group of people I have only known a day.

5. Dearest loved one, darling doctor
Are things good 'cause I'm not a factor?
Please let me stay here for awhile,
When I come home, I will always try to smile.

6. Mental health camp is a pleasure
One I'll always try to treasure.
When I come home, I'll be stable
No more rapid cycling at the dinner table.

10 comments:

Paula Joy said...

LOVE IT!!!

Wellness Writer said...

Paula Joy,
So glad to hear that!

Susan

Catatonic Kid said...

OMG! ROFL!! You are a brilliant, brilliant woman, Susan.

Ohhh, stomach hurts from the laughter. Classic.

Wellness Writer said...

Dear CK,
Thanks. I appreciate the kudos!

Susan

Wendalyn Love said...

Loved it! and I sooooo get it! Thanks for the wimsy, it was a great way to start my day!

Jazz said...

ROFLMAO!!!
That's awesome, Susan!

Wellness Writer said...

Dear Wendalyn,
A little whimsy is a good way to start any day, isn't it? Thanks for letting me know!

Susan

Wellness Writer said...

Dear Jazz,
While I'd love to know what ROFLMAO means, I'm really glad you liked it!

Susan

Jazz said...

Er...rolling on the floor laughing my a$$ off...

Wellness Writer said...

Jazz,
Thanks, yet another good expression to know.

Susan