Wednesday, November 5, 2008

A Feel-Good Story

Since I felt so much better today, it was easy for me to get out and about and do what I needed to do. After I voted for the president of the United States (and yes, my candidate won), I went to get my hair cut from a new hair dresser.

As she and I were getting to know each other, she mentioned that she had taught music in the Los Angeles school district for nine years, and that she played the keyboard, and sang. And I told her my story about performing at my mother's assisted living facility (before she died), and my love of music. I mentioned the music theory class I had begun but had to quit because it moved far too fast for me, but I said I'm looking for another class at Emeritus College next semester.

And then she said, "I've got two boxes of song books that are for beginners. Would you like them?"

"Yes," I said. "I'm so thrilled. I'm semi-retired and I could never afford a collection like this one."

"Oh, I'm so glad," she said. "They've been sitting here for months and I've been looking for someone who would like them as much as I have. This is how I learned to play the keyboard, but I haven't used them in years."

There must be 100 books, and they are just the ones I would have chosen. It is a perfect way to learn how to play the keyboard, and to learn to read music. And it seemed like it was a gift from God.

I love it when people are so kind and generous and expect nothing in return. After a few days where I felt so down, it was a godsend to have someone reach out and help me pursue a goal that is a key component of my wellness program. It truly made my day!

(Tomorrow, I'll continue my series on mood charting a depression.)

4 comments:

P.J. said...

WOW!! That is SO great!!! I am happy that these books have been given to you. I know that you will make good use of them.

I, too, play the piano. I started learning when I was a child, but put it away for some time. Now I wish I would have stuck with it, but, such is life. I am now enjoying learning more. I learned a new chord last week, and I was thrilled!!

I wish you luck in your playing/learning and I know you can do it. AND, it IS a gift to you from God. Isn't it nice to know that God is cares about what you care about?

P.S. How'd the hair cut turn out?

Wellness Writer said...

Dear PJ,
Yes, it was quite something. All I have to do now is to find a used keyboard and I can begin. What was encouraging is that these are the books this woman used to teach herself to play and she played semi-professionally for years.

The haircut was great.

Susan

Marie said...

I am glad you are feeling better to go out and try something new!

It is rare when people exhibit that kind of generousity. I am so pleased!

I played piano back in HS-I wonder if I retained some of that after so many years. It is worth a try!

Wellness Writer said...

Dear Marie,
Yes, it is unusual, which makes it such a wonderful experience. And I'm sure you've retained something.I imagine it's kind of like riding a bike; you never forget how.

Susan