Thursday, October 2, 2008

Persevering and Problem-Solving

When I wrote yesterday about persevering to achieve wellness, I should have mentioned that the second part of the equation is problem-solving. In a job search, which is the example I used, the key when you don't get hired is to figure out why, and to make whatever changes are necessary to be successful.

Sometimes, particularly for recent college graduates, it's may be a question of a crowded market-place, and a lack of experience. But sometimes, you know you didn't get hired because your resume wasn't compelling enough and you need to rewrite it or write a better cover letter. Or you didn't do a great job in the interview, which means you need to learn more about the questions you may be asked and how to answer them. Or you did a good job in the interview, but the people you used for recommendations weren't strong enough.

The key--whether it's applying for a job, or achieving wellness--is to figure out what went wrong and to determine what you can do to fix it. Persevering without problem-solving is a waste of time. To send out a resume over and over, which doesn't result in interviews is a waste of energy. To go on interview after interview and not clinch the job means the marketplace is getting smaller and smaller and you're still jobless.

To try and achieve wellness by continuing a process that is making you sicker and sicker is also a waste of time.

My advise is this: Try and figure out what is causing your depressions when you're well. Start an exercise program when you're well. Begin a mood chart when you're well. Participate in wellness activities--whether it's playing music, meditating or gardening--when you're well. That way, it's far easier to continue to pursue these activities when you're feeling slightly depressed.

The worst feeling in the world is to feel a depression on the horizon and have no clue why it's coming, and no course of action to deal with it.

In my own experience, depressions don't come out of nowhere. There are plenty of clues, if only we pay attention to them. And the worse time to try out new wellness activities is when you're beginning to feel depressed because that requires motivation and energy, which is in short supply when you're feeling down.

(to be continued)

P.S. My first published book was Job Search Strategy for College Grads, which I wrote with my undergraduate career counselor, and I used to write magazine articles on the subject as well as doing seminars.

4 comments:

P.J. said...

I agree that it's pointless to do the same thing over and over and expect different results. (That's a Dr. Phil idea!).

Those of us who really want to get better, in EVERY area of life, will find a way to do just that.

Wellness Writer said...

Dear P.J.,
Again, I couldn't agree more. And I love your attitude as well!

Susan

cherchair said...

My bipolar I has been out of control again after a long (for me) remission. I am trying to get back on track and this article served as a good reminder that I am responsible for my own wellness. Thanks.

Wellness Writer said...

Dear Cherchair,
I'm glad it helped. Best of luck!

Susan