Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Is the Glass Half-Full or Half-Empty?

My husband and I just returned from a lovely three-day vacation to Morro Bay, California. As I mentioned last week, he was participating in a painting workshop, and I took my digital camera, which I'm learning how to use.

We arrived Friday afternoon and the weather was spectacular--warm and clear. The next two days the area was socked in with fog. On the second day, I tried taking photos in the fog, and they were so-so.

At first, I felt sorry that I hadn't taken a photo of Morro Rock the first afternoon when I could see it so clearly from the balcony of our room and could also show the fishing boats and bay. But then I realized that I have the same attitude about photography as I do about wellness. I see the glass as half-full rather than half-empty. What that means to me if that if something I'm doing doesn't work, I try something else.

So, I drove out to Morro Rock and realized that if I shot upward, I could capture one perspective--even though the top was fogged in (Photo 1). And if I hiked around the other side, I could get a shot where there was no fog (Photo 2).
However, I didn't think the second shot was as interesting so the question was: What else could I shoot? And while I'm not a great bird enthusiast, the area is known for its birds. So, I took a bunch of shots and particularly liked the one where there bird is "talking." (Photo 3).

And when I had tired of the birds, I drove to a different part of town, and there were some wonderful trees, and I loved shooting them.

As I was thinking about my experience, I realized this: For me, the glass is always half-full. That's the way I live my life, and that's why I've been able to achieve wellness. The older I get, the more I know that the only way I can only retain wellness is by being with people who feel the same way.

8 comments:

"Dootz" said...

I agree with you. In fact, because we live in a world that is "broken" - or so I believe - there will always be evidence around us of the glass-half-empty. When we choose your perspective, glass-half-full, then we acknowledge the blessings of God.

Good post.

Gianna said...

I love the last photo...

KJ said...

I am so glad that you had a nice time on your trip. I find that I for one have to really fight not being the half empty kind of person. Most of the time for others I can be really positive and successful and seeing the good stuff in their situation and life, but for myself I have a really hard time not thinking the worst will happen. I think that just comes from years of enduring the yucky parts of life. I continue to fight this half empty tendency though. Kind of the - fake it til you feel it attitude!

Wellness Writer said...

Dear Dootz,
I couldn't agree more!

Susan

Wellness Writer said...

Glad you like it Gianna.

Wellness Writer said...

Dear KJ,
I think that attitude is half the battle. And I applaud you for yours!

While we can't change our past, we can certainly change our present and future.

Lately, I've read a number of books where the authors discuss the importance of reversing "negative self-talk." And I'll post on it tomorrow.

But I believe the first step is the desire to change, and the willingness to "model" positive behavior. Perhaps, the key is to "fake it until you feel it." It sure makes me smile.

Susan

P.J. said...

I am TOTALLY a half-full girl. I am an optimist.

I LOVE your pictures!! The ones of the tress I especially like. Looks like a beautiful place. Glad you had a nice time.

I missed you here!! :)

Wellness Writer said...

Dear PJ,
From what I know of you online, I would heartily concur that you're a "totally half-full girl!" And I love that quality in you!

Yes, the trees were my favorite shots too. Thanks for "missing me."

Susan