Thursday, September 25, 2008

Hope

When I thought about the last two days' posts, I realized how powerful a tool "hope" is. If a person honestly doesn't believe that things will get better when he/she is down, I would have to say, "Then, how do you go on?"

My parents were great optimists and they passed that quality on. I can't remember a day going by in my childhood when they didn't feeling optimistic about their own lives, my siblings, and mine. I should imagine it's very difficult to feel hopeful when your parents aren't. And I'm in awe of people who grew up in non-supportive, pessimistic, or abusive households and still have hope.

What exactly is hope? Perhaps the following people define it best:

"The capacity for hope is the most significant fact of life. It provides human beings with a sense of destination and the energy to get started." ~Norman Cousins

"The natural flights of the human mind are not from pleasure to pleasure but from hope to hope." ~Samuel Johnson

"Hope is a renewable option: If you run out of it at the end of the day, you get to start over in the morning." ~Barbara Kingsolver

"Hope is the thing with feathers - that perches in the soul - and sings the tune without words - and never stops, at all." ~Emily Dickinson

6 comments:

Meredith said...

There's no way I'd be here doing what I am without hope. As my lovely parents say, "It is what it is. The universe usually works out for the best." If you believe that, you can find small instances of happiness everywhere. (Well, it's a lot harder when you're depressed, but if you have no sense of perspective, than what is the point?)

Wellness Writer said...

Dear Meredith,
I, too believe, there are small (and large) instances of happiness everywhere.

When we're depressed, it's really important to remember that it's an illness and not reality! Not that it matters when you feel so lousy, but it's still important to remember!

Susan

P.J. said...

I like Barbara Kingsolver's quote. It's like what I commented yesterday that everyday is a new day to begin again.

I grew up in a single parent home, and my mom had more hope and faith then anyone I've ever known. She sure passed that on to me.

If you have no hope of a better tomorrow, then what makes people get up in the morning?

Wellness Writer said...

P.J.,
Yes, Barbara Kingsolver and you are on the same page. It's what I believe as well. And, your question is mine. Without hope, life can't provide miracles!

Susan
P.S. That's great about your mom being such a strong role model for you!

Mariposa said...

I'm glad you dedicated a post for this one...so true! ;)

Have fun...can't wait to hear about it!

Wellness Writer said...

Thanks Mariposa!

Susan