Monday, September 29, 2008

High School Reunion

Dear Friends and Readers,
My 40th high school reunion was a wonderful event. As I may have mentioned, we were a mid-semester class of about 250 people; 100 attended the reunion. Rather than have it at a country club (as many classes do), or hosted by a professional for-profit reunion group, we planned it ourselves.

The process of working on it with three high school friends was as much fun as the event itself. We've been meeting for the last few months and not only did we work well together, but we laughed the way we did when we were in high school. There is something about remembering old times, thinking about how we acted when we were 15-18 years old, looking at a seminal period in our lives 40 years later, recounting things we said and did, and just enjoying each other's company--that was so much fun and so very satisfying.

The event itself was extraordinary. I had been told that the 40th reunion is truly special because people are so glad to reconnect, yet they're still in great shape (only 12 of our classmates had died), and it all proved to be true. Without sounding corny, there was so much love and goodwill on Saturday night at a small restaurant in West Los Angeles that it must have radiated throughout the universe.

How fun was it for me when people said, "Susan, you look just the same" (I'm not sure I really do but a lot of people said it so it must be true, mustn't it? ;)--or "I can't thank you enough for doing this because I'm having such a wonderful time."

And there is so much more...but I'm still a bit tired...I've got badminton today...and then it's time to return to my life--which will be that much richer because old friends have become new friends...and it doesn't get much better than that!

Warmly,

Susan
Salisian Class Treasurer

6 comments:

Mariposa said...

Oh...my, that sound fantastic indeed!

congrats on its success...and yes, it's always nice to renew old friendships...and I bet, you look way younger than your age and they were telling you the truth, I did not even have a clue about your age 'til you said 40th HS reunion... ;)

Have fun on your bandminton game...I'd love to play with you had you been near! LOL

Gianna said...

glad you had fun Susan! It sounds like you had a lot to do with making it happen...

Wellness Writer said...

Dear Mariposa,
Wouldn't it be fun to live down the block and play badminton? Yes, I did have a lot of fun, and yes, it is so nice to renew friendships! And yes, I guess I do look young! LOL

Susan

Wellness Writer said...

Gianna,
Yes, I did have a lot of fun and the committee had a great deal to do with it! Thank you!

Susan

P.J. said...

That's cool!!!

Wellness Writer said...

Yes, isn't it P.J.?