Friday, September 12, 2008

A Different Look at Bipolarity

The painters finished yesterday afternoon. I need a few days of rest before the carpet installers arrive on Tuesday. I just realized there are bipolar feelings that are truly healthy.

In this case, I am so happy we are able to redo our house, and yet the process is exhausting. I am so grateful to my mother (who died last October and father who died 19 years ago) for leaving me a small nest egg, which enables us to pay for the job, but I miss them terribly.

Because we had to box up the house, which was so tiring, we are able to look at it anew. And we realized that we (who are minimalists to begin with) no longer need as many things. So, we're giving away a lot of books and other items, which is difficult for me, but freeing as well.

I'm rearranging my work space and finally feel that I no longer need a desktop computer (I have a laptop) or my big lateral file cabinet and one of my smaller ones because I no longer download so much material, and I have shredded bags of files. I feel good because I am working hard to conserve paper and space, and yet I'm concerned because it's a big step for me to work in a smaller space without some of my "things," which I've had for the last 20 years.

And all of this may just be the tip of the iceberg. Who knows?

Have a happy and healthy weekend. I'll be back on Monday.

10 comments:

Bradley said...

I hope you get some rest, Susan, between all the renovation madness.

Tamara said...

I don't like a lot of stuff and I love smaller spaces but I couldn't get rid of books! Everything else can go but not books!

Rest up this weekend. I KNOW how hard it is having people in your house. I just went through that!

Wellness Writer said...

Thanks Bradley. I've changed the post since you commented, but your comment "still works."

Susan

Wellness Writer said...

Dear Tamara,
You're my kind of person. Books are the most difficult thing for me to part with. But I just had to deal with this a few months ago. When my mom died, there were at least a hundred books from my family home. And while we have lots of bookcases at our house, we don't have room for any more.

So, the deal was that I could keep any/all of her books, but I'd have to make space by giving away some of mine.

For the first time in years, I weeded through all my books and realized there are some I will never read again, truly aren't attached to, and could give to my library.

So, we'll see if I have one last "weeding" left in me. Now, we're trying to live without two tall bookcases, but we can always change our minds.

Now that you mention it, I remember that you recently went through this. And while these guys were professional, nice, and competent, this morning, my husband and I feel renewed--awakening with the house to ourselves.

Susan

Nancie said...

Dear Susan,

Thank God for your dear parents whose gift came in handy at this time! So wonderful that you are able to clear some things in between the renovation work. Take care and have a restful weekend!

Nancie

Merelyme said...

You sound really good. You are inspiring me to simplify and de-clutter my surroundings.

Wellness Writer said...

Dear Nancie,
Thank you, and I hope you have a great weekend too.

Fondly,
Susan

Wellness Writer said...

Dear Merelyme,
It's amazing how freeing it is. I can't believe I'm giving away from desktop computer (to my painter's kids). But I just saved all my files to a flash drive, and it's done. And the books, a huge thing I hold on to (I've got favorite books from college), can be read by others.

Susan

P.J. said...

I enjoy cleaning things out and sorting through stuff. The problem in my house is that I have nothing else to sort through!! My husband and I rarely keep anything around that we don't use, and we are certainly not a cluttered people.

Books are the same. I don't own a huge pile, by any means, so I have a small bookcase at home, and a regular size bookcase at work.

Glad the reno went well, and I hope you got some relaxation this weekend. It's great to 'hear' the cheerfulness in your 'voice'.

Wellness Writer said...

Dear PJ,
Thanks!

Susan