Monday, June 2, 2008

Bipolar Kindness

Since I've been back, I've been visiting a number of blogs, emailing back and forth with online friends, and a major issue has raised its ugly head. I have noticed some very unkind comments on bipolar blogs, and some of my friends have been recipients of this kind of cruelty. And I find it highly disturbing.

Why, I wonder, when this illness is so very difficult, would anyone treat his or her fellow BIPs badly? If a person has something unkind to say to someone who blogs, why would he/she write it as a comment? Why not keep it to yourself? If a person disagrees with another's mode of healing, why not "live and let live?"

I'm no Pollyanna, but I do believe in looking for the good in people, and I also believe in being kind. I see no reason for writing a nasty comment just because you disagree with something someone said. I find it terribly hurtful to suggest that if someone is pouring out his or her soul in their blog, they're whining.

So today, I plan to share a few uplifting quotes on kindness, and I hope that June will be a month of Bipolar Kindness.

"If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion."
~Dalai Lama

"The kindest word in all the world is the unkind word, unsaid."
~Author Unknown

"A bit of fragrance always clings to the hand that gives roses."
~Chinese Proverb

"Have you had a kindness shown?
Pass it on;
'Twas not given for thee alone,
Pass it on;
Let it travel down the years,
Let it wipe another's tears,
'Til in Heaven the deed appears -
Pass it on."
~Henry Burton, Pass It On

18 comments:

Danielle said...

Hmmmmm....you must have read the most recent comments written by my sisters (who have not spoken with me in several years). I finally made the decision to delete them. However, I did save them as my youngest sister has threatened to sue me for libel????????

Jazz said...

Susan,

Not enough people practice kindness and compassion, in my opinion.

On my fridge, I posted a notecard, and I told my children to read it whenever they need to be reminded.

It says:
Ask yourself before you speak:
Is this true?
Is it kind?
Is it necessary?


I don't recall where I first read this, but it has stuck with me. We could all do worse than to ask ourselves these questions before we post a comment on someone else's blog.

Bipolar Wellness Writer said...

Dear Danielle,
No, I haven't, but I'm so sorry. I didn't realize that your family problems extended to your siblings as well. Once, I read something that your brother wrote and it brought tears to my eyes. It was so lovely.

A giant hug from Los Angeles to Florida! Gosh, I wish I could make it go away.

Love,
Susan

P.S. Gianna ended her blog today because she's been getting such "mean" comments.

Bipolar Wellness Writer said...

Dear Jazz,
What a great thing to post for your kids. And it certainly extends to all of us!

Susan

P.J. said...

Those are all great quotes, Susan! Thanks for sharing them. I think that we do need to remember that our fellow bloggers are sharing their hearts, and who are we to trample on them?? We need to do everything in love, and that includes what kind of comments we leave for people. I always think back to Thumper in the Bambi... "If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all."

Glad you are back, and thanks for your encouraging comment on my blog!!

P.S. I'm glad you are setting boundaries, and you won't lose this reader!

Meredith said...

That's horrible about Gianna. Is this permanent?

Bipolar Wellness Writer said...

Dear PJ,
The comments on your recent post were one of the blogs I was referring to. I hope you're okay. And thanks for commenting on this.

Susan

Bipolar Wellness Writer said...

Dear Meredith,
No, I don't believe so. She and I have been in touch and she's trying to come up with a way to write and not be "stalked" as she posted today.

Susan

Jena said...

I agree wholeheartedly... in fact i have a link underneath "my story" about blogging politeness on my blog as well. I am very sensitive and I don't think I could maintain a blog that received unsupportive comments- we are a community that should be supportive to each other and maybe even learn from each other. I have met so many lovely people here and I try to stay away from the people who bring others down.

Annie said...

Thank you for your thoughts about kindness. I have been away from blogging while doing a remodeling job. It is good to be back but I did come across a hurtful post. I do not have the history with folks like some of you do. I am glad to see it is being handled with kindness. Thanks again. Annie

Bipolar Wellness Writer said...

Dear Jena,
All very good points!

Susan

Bipolar Wellness Writer said...

Dear Annie,
You're welcome. I'm not sure where all this "anger" from some people is coming from. And I'm not sure why they feel the need to spew it forth on other people's blogs, but I have learned that the only way to respond is to try and "preach" compassion. But you're the "retired therapist" so you certainly know more about this subject than I do!

Susan

Nancie said...

Susan,

Thanks for all your encouragements and supports to me in this difficult time.

I think it is very sad when people leave unkind comments on others' blogs. Blogging are very often therapeutic to someone suffering. And it takes a lot of courage to bare our souls in a public domain.

I am thankful to you and many others for the prayers, encouragements and supports in my difficult times. May blogging be used in constructive ways to help one another as we travel through the different paths in life.

Thanks again for everything!

Warmly,
Nancie

discoverandrecover said...

Thank you Susan for the kindness you practice as a fellow blogger.

Duane

Bipolar Wellness Writer said...

Duane,
Thank you for such wonderful support!

Susan

Bipolar Wellness Writer said...

Dear Nancie,
I'm so glad to hear that you're back. I hope that things are going better for you. I'll stop by your blog tomorrow to find out!

Warmly,
Susan

marja said...

"If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion."
~Dalai Lama

Love that quote, Susan. Thanks for these thoughts and for these quotes.

Bipolar Wellness Writer said...

Dear Marja,
I love that quote too.

Susan