Sunday, June 8, 2008

Arts and Healing

While I rarely post on weekends, I thought I'd share some resources on writing to heal, which I believe is a very important topic. My friend Jazz, who writes In Pieces, posted this great series on how to keep a journal. Today's post is on Journaling and Writing Prompts, and if this topic interests you, should should certainly check it out.

Another site of interest is Diane Morrow's A Year of Writing and Healing. She's an M.D. who also has an M.F.A. and uses writing and a lot of alternative healing practices in her medical practice. Her site provides a wealth of resources on writing to heal.

On Monday, I'm going to talk about the book, Poetic Medicine by John Fox. You might enjoy checking out The Institute for Poetic Medicine.

A few other resources, which I've only read about, but find interesting are: The Academy of Creative Healing Arts, the Arts and Healing Network, and The Center for the Creative Arts Therapies. Have a good weekend!

10 comments:

Annie said...

Susan, Thanks so much for the references. You put so much work into your posts that I just wanted to let you know how much it helps! Annie

Danielle said...

Thanks for all these great links. I especially love the post on journaling and truth. Quite appropriate for what I have been experiencing lately. I went back and did some 'revision' work on The Chronicles and have made the decision to keep them public.

Bipolar Wellness Writer said...

Dear Annie,
Thank you so much for thanking me. I really appreciate it!

Susan

Bipolar Wellness Writer said...

Dear Danielle,
Thanks for letting me know. I'll visit your site to read the Whippoorwill Chronicles, which as I've written on your blog, I find to be your very best writing--so personal and powerful!

Susan

Gianna said...

I like Diane Morrow's site a lot and think of her when I write about my grief as she has quite a lot to say about it.

One thing she says is writing about painful things can hurt and sometimes you feel worse after you write something painful...actually, I think she's quoting someone...but she says it's like seeing a sad movie and it hangs around a bit...

that's how I felt today after I wrote my piece on my grief. I felt more pain for a while. But now I feel better.

I was afraid to publish that post because I don't want people to imagine I'm all consumed by grief. It comes and goes in waves.

When the wave is high I sometimes write...as today.

Anyway...you've been an inspiration in my continuing to write to heal.

thanks.

Bipolar Wellness Writer said...

Dear Gianna,
I'm very touched by what you've written. Thank you. Actually, Diane is quoting Dr. James W. Pennebaker from his book, "Writing to Heal."

I believe we never need to apologize for writing from our hearts. Sometimes the grief is overwhelming and we need to let it out.

I also think it takes enormous strength to write with candor and honesty.

I'm praying (in my own quirky way) that you continue to heal and let your soul reveal itself!

Susan

Jazz said...

Thanks for the mention, Susan!

Bipolar Wellness Writer said...

You're welcome Jazz!

Syd said...

Great resources, Susan. Thanks!

Bipolar Wellness Writer said...

You're welcome Syd.