Sunday, May 11, 2008

Remembering My Mother

This is the first Mother's Day I'll spend without my mother who died last October. Her name was Marjorie Schwartz. She was 85 when she died. There never was a daughter who loved her mother more. She lives in my heart, and through her poems. This is one of my favorites.

On a Sad Day
Don't cry for me.
I have loved and been loved
with more sweetness than most.
I promise to be a gentle ghost,
with only a reminder here and there...
an off-key song...a steak that's rare...
an ice cream cone...a silly poem.
So, smile awhile and think of the stories I'd tell,
then remember me...and laugh like hell!

* * *
Dear Mama,
You taught me how to laugh, and love, and cry. You also taught me to end every story with a good punch line, so I wrote my own small poem for you.

Oh mama, I love you so!
I'm so sorry to see you go.
I know it's time to say goodbye
but I'll love you dearly until I die.

Love,
Susan

8 comments:

bart said...

missing a parent is probably one of the defining moments in a persons life... thank for this sweet cameo today...

keep well...

Gianna said...

Very beautiful and

happy mothers day to you too!!
love,
g

Bipolar Wellness Writer said...

Dear Bart,
And thank you for your sweet comment!

Susan

Bipolar Wellness Writer said...

Dear Gianna,
Thank you! I appreciate the kind words!

Susan

Bradley said...

Beautiful words about your mother. My mom died over 20 years ago yet it's rare I don't think of her. I remember the warm feeling I got when I realized my thoughts weren't sad anymore. They were all the good times that I cherished.

Happy mothers day to you.

Bipolar Wellness Writer said...

Thanks Bradley. My father died 18 years ago. While the sadness eventually goes away, I still miss him deeply, but I do cherish the memories!

Susan

Nancie said...

Dear Susan,

Thank God for your mum's love for you and your love for her. The warm feelings and memory lingers on and it will continue to sweeten your life. I am glad you have had such a wonderful mother and you have been able to love and care for her in your special ways.

Thanks for sharing this sweet tribute.

Take care.

Nancie

Bipolar Wellness Writer said...

Dear Nancie,
Thanks for your sweet email. I appreciate it!

Susan