Monday, May 26, 2008

Memorial Day

For those of you who do not live in the United States, today is Memorial Day, a day to commemorate the deaths of soldiers who "perished while in military service to their country."

My father and his three brothers served in World War II. My dad was accepted into flight school, and once he arrived it turned out he suffered from motion sickness and couldn't be a pilot. He was terribly disappointed, but he served our country in the United States teaching radio to other soldiers, while his brothers fought in Europe. As it turned out, my father's entire flight squadron was killed in WWII, and my dad survived only because he wasn't a pilot.

As the mother of a son who is almost 19, I pray that with a new president in office in November, we will work to resolve international problems with diplomacy rather than weaponry, so that mothers the world over will no longer have to commemorate the deaths of their sons and daughters. Amen!

P.S. Since Memorial Day for me is also a time for contemplation and gratitude because I realize how lucky I am that my father wasn't killed in WWII (of course he couldn't have been my dad since I was born in 1950), perhaps it should also be a time to think about our fellow bloggers who aren't feeling well.

In visiting a few blogs this morning, I see that Nancie is having health problems and family issues and has stopped posting for awhile, and Coco hasn't been feeling well either. I'm sure there are others, but I need to go offline now and can't check them out now.

Today, I'm sending positive thoughts to Nancie and Coco, and I'm sure they'd love to hear from you. Also, I want to send prayers of safety to all service people (men and women) throughout the world, especially Syd's daughter Lindsey, who's in Iraq.

16 comments:

Mariposa said...

Sharing your prayers...and I join you in remembering all people who were in military service.

Gianna said...

I'll second that Amen!

Bipolar Wellness Writer said...

Thanks Mariposa and Gianna!

naturalgal said...

Amen

Jena said...

hey just wanted to let you know my blog address changed, so you'll need to update your links- i'm still at blogger but my link is now jena-fun.blogspot.com :)

Bipolar Wellness Writer said...

Thanks naturalgal.

Jena, I'll update your email address.

Danielle said...

A great post for memorial day. I have been feeling quite out of sorts lately battling my own personal demons - thanks for sending me a note to see what's up ;) You're a beautiful person!!! And quite thoughtful! Praying we are all on the upswing and enjoying this wonderful free country we live in thanks to those that gave their all.

discoverandrecover said...

Susan,

Thank you for taking a moment to remember your dad, and others of the 'Greatest Generation'.

They were such special people - so very humble.

Duane

Bipolar Wellness Writer said...

Duane,
When I think of my father and his generation's commitment to this country, I am humbled. The movie "Saving Private Ryan" featured a family who lost four brothers in the war and so the army department tried to save the fifth.

I'm sure my dad's family wasn't usual in having all four young men in their twenties enlist. And even though my father's oldest brother was a prisoner of war, my father (who was the youngest) still couldn't wait to fight for his country!

Susan

Bipolar Wellness Writer said...

Dear Danielle,
So glad to hear from you. I was concerned. I'm wondering how many people who are feeling bad these days are battling personal demons, and how many have an element of SAD in their illness. Although people think seasonal affective disorder is a fall /winter thing, some people have a spring/summer version.

Anyway, glad to hear you're "back."

Susan

From an acorn said...

Hi there. I just wanted to it was sweet of you to mention people who aren't well at the moment - it was very community minded, and much appreciated.

Bipolar Wellness Writer said...

Dear Acorn,
Welcome to my blog. When I was depressed, it always made me feel so much better when my readers told me how much I meant to them, or just wished me well. Since I think of all of us as a "virtual support group," I knew it would make Nancie and Coco feel better too. Thank you for thanking me!

Susan

P.J. said...

Great post, Susan. Living in Canada, we don't celebrate Memorial Day, so it's great to get that extra reminder of the price that was paid. What an incredible story about your dad!! Wow!

And, I "Amen!!" your Amen!

Bipolar Wellness Writer said...

Dear PJ,
Yes, it was amazing to me. I'm sure that a lot of families in a lot of countries throughout the world had many of their male children (and now female ones as well) fighting in wars at the same time. As a mother, I can't imagine how they coped!

Susan

Coco said...

Thank you so much Susan, for mentioning me in your post. I feel so supported by you, and I really hope I can pay that forward somehow for someone...we all need lifting up at times :) coco

Bipolar Wellness Writer said...

Dear Coco,
Thank you for thanking me. After so many years of feeling so very ill--and with a recent depression as a reminder of how I felt--I can't tell you how fulfilling it is to support others from a position of wellness.

Susan