Wednesday, March 19, 2008

In Celebration of My Mother's Birthday

Since my earlier post was somewhat of a downer, and because today would have been my mother's 86th birthday, I'd like to share a few of my thoughts and two of my mother's poems. Whenever I feel really down, I think of my mother. She was an eternal optimist. What I loved most about her was her joi di vivre, her enthusiasm, her excitement about doing the things she loved, her generosity, her stories, her thoughtfulness to her friends and family members, and her ability to make me feel so thoroughly and completed loved.

The following poem was for my grandmother.

April, 1974
if you pray
for life your way
days for laughter
and some for crying
as hard as life is, mama dear,
it's harder dying.

life has pain
and life has sorrow
but while we live
there are tomorrows

spring will come
the grass will grow
what's the hereafter?
I'll opt for what I know.

And this one was for my grandmother as well.

Mama
(December 1975)
Mama dear
If I had know you were going to die
I would have hugged you and kissed you
and said goodbye.

4 comments:

Mariposa said...

Happy birthday to your Mom, and to all Moms celebrating their birthday today! :)

my life with bipolar disorder said...

Thank God for such a wonderful and inspiring mother! Thanks, Susan, for sharing the poems. I posted one of my favourite poem "The Weaver" on my blog recently. It truly describes our life :)

Bipolar Wellness Writer said...

Dear Mariposa,
Thank you. Actually, my mother died last October. Today would have been her birthday if she had lived. But I appreciate the thought!

Susan

Bipolar Wellness Writer said...

Dear Nanci,
Thank you. My mother truly was an inspiration!

Susan