Monday, March 17, 2008

Wellness Activity: Gardening (Again)

The weather in Los Angeles has been wonderful. I spent the entire weekend gardening outdoors. I'm finally perking up a bit. I guess it's a combination of gardening, sunshine, and physical activity. I've discussed gardening so many times but the point is that Horticultural Therapy works. Why?

According to an article by the Eva C. Worden, Theodora M. Frohne, and Jessica Sullivan from the University of Florida Extension, horticultural therapy has the following benefits:
reducing physical pain, providing sensory stimulation,improving memory and concentration, easing emotional pain from bereavement or abuse, cultivating nurturing feelings, encouraging social interaction, teaching responsibility, reducing stress and anger, and enhancing productivity and problem solving.

If you're interested in pursuing this, I'm providing a few helpful links: American Horticultural Therapy Association, Texas Master Gardner, and an article on Horticultural Therapy with lots of links.

8 comments:

Danielle Says Hello said...

Perhaps this is why I am starting a garden both in the front yard and the back ;)....I am in need of much therapy (grin).

Bipolar Wellness Writer said...

Danielle,
I'd noticed that you'd changed your web page to reflect your new interests, and wondered why. I meant to write to you.

Susan

my life with bipolar disorder said...

Thanks, Susan, for sharing this. My mum loves gardening and she seems to be so happy after her gardening. Hmm... maybe I should try this too. Great post!

Bipolar Wellness Writer said...

Nanci,
It is really enjoyable and totally focuses me on the task at hand. Also, the sun works wonders!

Susan

Tony C. said...

Well the weather certainly isnt good here! The garden reminds me of the old films of the Flanders battlefields in 1916. Its only that the scene isnt in monochrome and there are no soldiers that makes me realise i am in the present in my garden!
Having said that the rhubarb is thriving.....
Perhaps over Easter weekend I can get some planting done in the swamp.

Bipolar Wellness Writer said...

Dear Tony,
I just "googled" the Flanders Battlefield of 1916 to get a visual image and "wow," you do have a talent for description! (smiling face). Sorry to hear it.

I thought you might enjoy looking at two of our best gardens in Southern California: the Huntington Botanical Gardens and Descanso Gardens. I live about an hour away from both.

Susan

Tony C. said...

Hi Susan,
Thank you for sharing those lovely places with me. Both those gardens look beautiful on the web. In real life they must be stunning.
We have a bit of watery sun today, its not warm, just not freezing cold. Hopefully by the weekend I wont need a lifejacket to go gardening!
I hope you have a very happy Easter.

Bipolar Wellness Writer said...

You're welcome Tony. They are beautiful in person. And now that I've recommended them to you, I need to visit them. Have a lovely holiday yourself!

Susan