Monday, March 10, 2008

Wellness Activity 6: Thanking People

When I feel depressed I sometimes become so self-absorbed that I forget to thank the people who have made me feel better...even if it's just with a kind word, thoughtful comments, or an email. After I wrote the following paragraphs, I felt so much better that I decided that Thanking People can actually be perceived as a bipolar wellness activity. Here goes...

In response to my post Mind-Body Connection, Part 2, I would like to thank the following: Mariposa, I'm linking to her profile since she's got a few different blogs that might interest you, and she's a new reader who is pursuing meditation, physical activities and seeing a spiritual director in her quest for wellness; Aimee, who has tried both meditation and biofeedback and has an interesting take on it; my cousin Cami Black, an actress, who is finally receiving some much deserved support for her career; and Syd, my dear friend, ace supporter, and virtual sister.

I also want to thank JayPeeFreely, who is always there with kind words of support. And he even nominated me for this amazing honor, Should Be Famous, and I was feeling so down at the time that I never really thanked him or Patrick and Cooper who initiated this blog. Thanks so very much! The blog is a lovely idea!

Finally, thanks to: Pistol Pete, a new reader and kind fellow from Necessary Therapy; my pal Dootz from Mead on Mantattan and Lullabye; Marja from Roller Coaster, my very first reader who embodies kindness and provides a wealth of advice; Nanci from My Life with Bipolar Disorder, who's so supportive; Dream Writer from Coming Out of the Dark, Tony C. whose comments make me smile;Dirk from Dirkmonster, who laughed at my bipolar song lyrics and is thus dear to my heart, and Roanne from Own Your Own Health, who is a role model for recovery (from stroke), and sent me a poem that made me cry (It's posted on her blog).

To all, sincere thanks!

7 comments:

KJ said...

I wanted to thank you for your blog. I am the spouse of someone who struggles with bipolar and I am learning so much from your posts. Thank you! Thank you!

My Life with Bipolar Disorder said...

Thanks, Susan. Glad we can be of mutual encouragement to one another. Glad too that you are discovering more bipolar wellness activity :-) Well done and keep up the good work!

I miss your comments on my blog, though :-) Come around more often and share your views with my readers too, whenever you can. Take care.

marja said...

Thank you for your thank you, Susan, dear friend. And you're right, giving thanks is most therapeutic. Nurturing a thankful spirit is an excellent way to stay well. It is healing and keeps us from letting things get us down.

My favorite book says, "...give thanks in all circumstances...". It's amazing how helpful it is when we do that.

An excellent topic.

Bipolar Wellness Writer said...

KJ,
Thanks so much for writing. I'm glad you're learning something because there are times when I don't feel I know anything at all about this illness.

But I do know who you are--and you must be a saint if you can raise four children (who are adorable from the pictures on your site) and deal with this bipolar stuff too.

Thank you!

Susan

Bipolar Wellness Writer said...

Nanci,
I will drop by more often. I've been offline all week long, and am trying to spend all my time during the day outdoors because the sun really helps me. But I will drop by soon and try to comment more!

Susan

Bipolar Wellness Writer said...

Marja,
A lovely quote, and my thanks to you as well.

Susan

Dirk said...

Thanks for the shout out. I haven't been online in about a week and catching up I saw this. Thanks to you too for being impressed with our lame snowstorm in TN :)