Saturday, February 23, 2008

Wellness Activity 4: Walking

If we bipolars believe it, walking is probably better for depression than medication. Dr. Robert N. Butler, President of the International Longevity Center at Mount Sinai Medical School in New York City, said, “If exercise could be put in a pill, it would be the number one anti-aging medicine and the number one anti-depression medicine.”

Given that, I have made a vow to start walking every day. I'll take my new digital camera with me, and if I ever learn how to use it, I'll post some of my photographs from my walks.

Needless to say, this photo on the left--featuring sheep at St. Paul's station--which comes from London Photos, is not something I'm likely to see in Los Angeles. But perhaps, Londoners were surprised as well.

5 comments:

Dirk said...

I have a standing meeting at 3pm on the calendar of everyone on my team inviting them to an optional 15 minute "walk break". The lap around the outside of our office park is about .5 miles. Everyone seems to re-enter the office with a smile on their face.

Bipolar Wellness Writer said...

Sounds like a great idea for relieving stress. But the real question is: Do you see sheep?

My Life with Bipolar Disorder said...

I started walking around Nov last year. I also joined an all ladies gym and do brisk walking and jogging on their treadmill for at least 45 mins every morning plus some weight training. About 2 to 3 weeks after that, I was able to cut down my anti-depressant. After 3 months, I am totally off my anti-depressant. It has helped to strengthen me mentally and physically. I also picked up photography while walking at the beach and gardens. Hope you will enjoy your walks, Susan, and taking photographs. Take care. Regards, Nancie

Bipolar Wellness Writer said...

Nanci,
Thanks great news. It just confirms that this is a terrific treatment options for bipolar disorder.

Susan

Dirk said...

Susan,
No sheep, but I'll keep looking. ;)