Wednesday, February 27, 2008

The Placebo Effect

I just came across this quote from Love, Medicine, and Miracles by Bernie S. Siegel, M.D., (the famous cancer doctor) and thought it might have some application to the information JayPeeFreely provided on the Antidepressant Study post.

"One of the best ways to make something happen is to predict it. Pooh-poohed for some twenty years by the medical establishment, the placebo effect--the fact that about one-fourth to one-third of patients will show improvement if they merely believe they are taking an effective medicine even if the pill they are taking has no active ingredient--has now been accepted as genuine by most of the profession.

Dr. Howard Brody of Michigan State asserts that a positive placebo response occurs when three factors are optimally present: the meaning of the illness experience for the patient is altered in a positive manner; the patient is supported by a caring group; and the patient's sense of mastery and control over the illness is enhanced."

2 comments:

JayPeeFreely said...

I think that is definitely a part of what happens: we as people, through internal workings of mind, our body and whatever 'soul' you have, can improve naturally, with the thoughts he said.

I am not much a supporter of meds. I have never been on any psychomedications; maybe due to the stigma you spoke of; maybe due to plenty of other things...

That said, if I honestly felt the people that were making these pills were free of their monetary designs, or the trials were free of skewing behaviors, and they worked, I could see myself taking something.

Instead, I can go into funks and say things that make me sound ignorant or obtuse, or alienate so many others. (Not that it takes much now..)

I appreciate your posting that report. I appreciate the support you always give - it reflects how much you are doing in your fight against the blas that you feel and the attempts you make to overcome them.

I can never give enough Kudos to you!!!

Bipolar Wellness Writer said...

And I can never thank you enough for your support!