Thursday, February 28, 2008

Mind-Body Connection (Part 1)

I am reading a book called The Way of Qigong: The Art and Science of Chinese Energy Healing by Kenneth S. Cohen. In the book jacket, they describe Qiqong as "a gentle yet rigorous program for working with our life energy through breathing and relaxation exercises, massage, visualization, meditation, and other natural methods."

I have no idea whether Qigong works or not for bipolar disorder, although if you look at the Qigong Institute site on the page about scientific papers, they're studying it for other illnesses. What fascinated me was the foreword by Larry Dossey, M.D. I'm well aware of him because he has written a number of books I find interesting, including Prayer Is Good Medicine.

Here's what Dr. Dossey writes: "As a first year student I attempted to drop out of medical school because of chronic, classical migraine headache syndrome--recurrent episodes of blindness, nausea, vomiting, and insufferable headache, followed by periods of incapacitation....I was unaware at the time that my problem was compounded by anxiety, stress, and overwork."

Dossey goes on to say that his medical advisor convinced him to stay in medical school, but it wasn't until years later that he "discovered biofeedback and meditation, which for the first time allowed relief from the problem that nearly halted my career and made my life miserable."

(more to come)

No comments: