Monday, January 28, 2008

Bipolar Work

In response to a post I wrote last year, Work: A Bipolar Bummer, today I received the following comment. Perhaps, there are readers who know a lot more about how to accommodate work and bipolar disorder or what services are available for people with bipolar order than I do, and I'm hoping you'll respond. If you have any sites to recommend, please do. I'll try and find out more information, which I'll post on Tuesday.

"Thank you all so much for your comments and honesty. It is so good to know there are others dealing with the same questions we are. We are parents of a 36-year old bipolar son and are struggling with the question of how much can we expect from him and how much should we encourage, push or stand back in terms of work. Of course, he is the one who has to want to work, get the job, hold the job... but we would like to be appropriately supportive. He is very bright, but very resistant to work, telling us that his mental illness means he can't work and can't hold a job, while we are convinced that there is a place and a job for him, even with BP. We help with his rent and phone, but he has to become self-sufficient! He hasn't even worked long enough in the states (spent 4 years teaching in Japan) to get social security disability aid. Your comments have all been very helpful as we continue to try to think our way through this. Any suggestions, ideas, thoughts would be greatly appreciated. BTW, I've scanned the BP sites for several years and agree that they aren't very helpful on the subject of financial survival and job situations!"

Bipolar Mom

3 comments:

JayPeeFreely said...

At least, his parents are connected to his well being. I have a thought that many are not, nor would they understand his situation.

Can you imagine what a Dr. Phil or judge Judy type would say... ;)

I can.

ariadneK, Ph.D. said...

Sorry, Bipolar Mom, but I have been struggling with the disorder for most of my life yet it hasn't stopped me from going through college (clear through a Ph.D.) and holding faculty positions at several prestigious institutions. I suspect your son my need a swift kick to get the juices flowing, so to speak!

Just my 2 cents,
ariK

Bipolar Wellness Writer said...

JP: I, too, though it was great that his parents were so supportive.

ariadnek: A totally different point of view! Tough love with a swift kick!