Friday, January 25, 2008

Another Bipolar Voice

On those days when we feel depressed, I think it's really important to remember the days when we felt well. A few days ago, Lynn left a comment on a post I wrote, Top 10 Reasons for Feeling Grateful, on May 25, 2007. I'd like to share her comment with you because I find it to be inspirational.

"I am grateful too...........
I was diagnosed with depression in 1991 and bipolar disorder in 1995. It took until 2005 for me to really feel like I have this illness under control. I would like to say I have beaten it but I do still take medication. This illness for me has been all about the universe trying to give me a wake up call that I needed to make some changes in my life. I stay healthy now by staying out of unhealthy relationships. I stay away from people that "bring me down." I put an end to my people pleasing ways. I do what I need to on a daily, weekly, monthy and yearly basis to be happy. Some of those things are talk about my recovery, I wrote and published a book about my recovery, I dance every week, I play games, I do puzzles. I work very hard at getting talks booked. I also do a motivational talk. I have goals and know how I am going to achieve them. I journal. I eat healthier foods, I exercise. Medication is only 25% of the recovery process. Working on yourself and your issues is the other 75%."

6 comments:

Danielle Blogging for Balance said...

It's a shame Lynn doesn't have a blog. We could all learn from her experience. That 75% is a bear at times ;)

Anonymous said...

That's wonderful. Thanks for sharing.

Let's Get Healthy Together!

http://pistachiopress.blogspot.com/2007/08/lets-get-healthy-together.html

Bipolar Wellness Writer said...

Danielle,
I wonder if there isn't a way to discuss other ways we "work on ourselves" or common traits we've got that we've had to work on.

Susan

Bipolar Wellness Writer said...

Patricia and Danielle,
What I believe in is a wellness program, that combines exercise, stress management, identifying triggers and finding ways to work with them, possibly self-hypnosis (although I need to research if that works), possibly biofeedback, music therapy and a number of other adjunctive therapies.

I've tried megavitamins, amino acids, acupuncture, and a wide array of other alternatives--none of which have worked for me.

It was expensive and very disheartening.

I'd like to figure out a way to get a good of people together online to discuss wellness ideas. (Lynn's comments were great but I don't know how to find her unless we reads this.)

Any thoughts on this?

Susan

Anonymous said...

This can help:

http://thewayofro.blogspot.com/

JayPeeFreely said...

I agree with Lyn on several points, especially, "stay out of unhealthy relationships."

It certainly seems that is a trigger for me, the gloom of others, that is.