Saturday, November 24, 2007

Solitude

While I usually don't post on Saturday, it somehow seems appropriate. After a holiday--any holiday for that matter--I always need a few days of solitude. I used to worry that my need to replenish was a bipolar symptom. Now I think it's just a part of who I am, and I'm quite comfortable with it. I particularly like the following quotes on solitude.

"I love people. I love my family, my children . . . but inside myself is a place where I live all alone and that's where you renew your springs that never dry up."
--Pearl S. Buck

"What I must do is all that concerns me, not what the people think. This rule, equally arduous in actual and intellectual life, may serve for the whole distinction between greatness and meanness. It is the harder, because you will always find those who think they know what is your duty better than you know it. It is easy in the world to live after the world's opinion; it is easy in solitude to live after our own; but the great person is one who in the midst of the crowd keeps with perfect sweetness the independence of solitude."
--Ralph Waldo Emerson

"It is in deep solitude that I find the gentleness with which I can truly love my brothers. The more solitary I am the more affection I have for them…. Solitude and silence teach me to love my brothers for what they are, not for what they say."
--Thomas Merton

6 comments:

Syd said...

Very nice quotes, Susan. I too have finally become comfortable with, and actually enjoy, periods of solitude. Being INFJ, I think it's simply part of my temperament to need time alone to recharge my batteries.

Syd
Bipolarity

Howard said...

Solitude's very important to me, because I'm an introvert. So while I adore my family, if I don't have solitude after intense family and social times, I'll get depleted from what I can only get by being alone. I also need to start my day alone, to focus.

Marie said...

I find nothing wrong with solitude every now and again! It is very comforting to me to go inside myself for a little while!

JayPeeFreely said...

I appreciate all those posts over the holidays. I had to take a break.

I am sorry to hear about your dog...how old is he?

Cyber Monday starts: more reasons to spend cash. (Wish I had a Halliburton slush fund to access...)

Like the quotes. You certainly have an eye for them...; )

SBWRITES said...

Dear JayPeeFreely,
Thanks for asking. My dog, Murphy, is 10 years old. She's a black lab that we got as a puppy from the SPCA. The cancer just appeared as a series of lumps on her paw--almost over night. We took her to a vet oncologist and it's a virulent form of cancer with no treatment prospects. He gave her a life expectancy of a few months.

Our other dog, Spike, is 15 and I'm not sure how much longer he was as well. For him, it's just "old age."

I guess it all struck me so strongly because of losing my mom. During my two year-long depressions, Spike just sat by my side--and never left. It was amazing.

Susan

Michael Krahn said...

Hey,

I just put up a series of posts about Thomas Merton that I think you'd enjoy at:

http://michaelkrahn.com/blog/thomas-merton/