Thursday, November 15, 2007

Change

Sorry that my post is so late today. I've been out and about, and seem a bit out of sorts. So...I'd like to share a quote from one of my favorite new books: The Way of Transition: Embracing Life's Most Difficult Moments by William Bridges, Ph.D.

"It's a paradox: To achieve continuity we have to be willing to change. Change, in fact, is the only way to protect whatever exists, for without continuous readjustment the present cannot continue. Even the great conservative, Edmund Burke, realized this, for he said that 'a state without the means of change is without the means of its continuation.'

"The refusal to change will not guarantee that whatever we care about stays the same. It only assures that whatever we care about has been deprived of the very thing it needs in order to survive. A marriage, a career, a dream for the future, even a picture of the past: Each of these things is being primed for destruction if it does not change over time.

"Here is another paradox: The very things we now wish we could hold onto and keep safe from change were themselves originally produced by changes. And many of these changes, in their day, looked just as daunting as any in the present do. No matter how solid and comfortable and necessary the status quo feels today, it was once new, untried, and uncomfortable. Change is not the only path ahead, but it is also the path behind us, the one which we traveled along to wherever we are now trying to stay."

1 comment:

marja said...

I'm not good with change, though there are many things wrong in the world that I would love to change.

When friends left the church I used to attend, I grieved terribly. When I myself left this church I woke up crying every morning for weeks. I belonged to the same camera club for 38 years. Have been married to the same man for 38 years and wouldn't think of changing. Have lived in the same house for over 30 years.

Or is that loyalty? Is there a difference between loyalty and not wanting change?