Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Bipolar Blogging (Part 3)

I guess the bottom line is that I'm well and have been for almost a year. I've figured out what initially triggered my illness--so many years ago--and resolved it. I'm continually identifying triggers on a daily, weekly, or monthly basis, and I try to resolve them.

I've learned how to brainswitch so that when something bothers me, I can stop the brain kindling, and I no longer ruminate about past events.

And on a daily basis, I have a wealth of wellness activities I've developed that not only work for me but are fulfilling and satisfying.

Finally, I rarely take medication and when I do, I'm able to take a very low dosage and it's effective. Once again, I'm the exception to the rule.

So, despite having a wealth of knowledge about this illness, I'm ready to move on. I started this blog with the goal that I could share what I've learned. I was hoping that readers would find me who've were interested in discussing wellness rather than illness, and who have developed a wide array of healing and wellness activities that we could share. For the most part, that hasn't been the case.

Still, now that I'm well, I can appreciate certain lessons I've learned from being ill. I've often thought that while some people have lived in monasteries or ashrams for years and have gained insight from these experiences, I've had a similar experience from having been so sick for so long.

In my case, it was 10 years of near silence due to depression. Now that I'm well--most of the time--I truly have learned what is important in life. And I try not to sweat the small stuff.

(to be continued)

2 comments:

JayPeeFreely said...

I think we all like "suddenly Susan." The change from one identification to another - is not that big of deal. (Except I have to rename you in my blogroll - you are causing me work!!!) ;)

Sorry I haven't been by, or writing as much, I get sidetracked pretty easy...and not always on the productive things.

And I think that helps BIPs: doing something very productive and different from the normal humdrum of the day. I believe I excel more when I have to get creative or engage in new experiences (for me, at least) and somehow, find a way to make it work.

I despise routine. And routine is at the root of what ails me usually.

So what new adventure are you going to start?

Marie said...

I too am recognizing triggers as well! I think that is a wonderful thing! Read the latest blog post for more info! It seems that not taking meds is working for me! I alleviate my depression with exercise and writing!