Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Bipolar Blogging (Part 2)

3. My third reason for changing the name of my blog--is to expand my readership. The people I'm interested in attracting are those who have overcome adversity and are truly seeking happiness, fulfillment, and wellness.

After months of reading a variety of different blogs, I realized that I'm bored with those that focus solely on bipolar themes and issues. Almost five years ago, after spending ten years doing bipolar research, I stopped visiting bipolar websites and reading bipolar books when I realized that reading about this illness made me feel worse rather than better.

I've mentioned elsewhere that during this decade, I'd read over 100 books on manic-depression, unipolar depression, and related topics. Perhaps one or two had any positive effect. For the most part, they were dreary and self-limiting.

During my darkest days, I read the books on cancer that I'd bought when my father was dying of prostate cancer. I'd found a wide array of books on cancer that were uplifting and positive. I read inspirational stories about exceptional patients who lived far beyond their life expectancies. I familiarized myself with techniques for reversing illness. I read about doctors who truly believed that their patients could get well.

I couldn't find similar books on bipolar mood disorder. I didn't feel the success stories were inspirational in the least. The lack of insight about this illness was downright depressing. And the psychiatrists and psychologists who write on this topic truly need help. Either they have no patients who are life-affirming or they're just extraordinarily downbeat people.

(to be continued)

7 comments:

Meredith said...

That is why I've basically abandoned my blog and my reading of most other blogs: they are all so negative, all the time. "Medication is horrible." "Therapy is horrible." "My life is horrible." "I'll never be stable." "The system sucks." Well, how does that explain the sizeable number of bipolar people who are successful and thriving? A little positivity goes a long way, and that's why I love your blog and continue to read it. You are upbeat and optimistic, and it's contagious. Thank you for providing me with some light in the midst of everyone else's downward spirals.

SBWRITES said...

You're welcome. Actually, I was wondering what happened to you. You started off on such an upbeat and positive track and then you disappeared. I figured you were just really busy with school and didn't have time for blogging.

But I can certainly commiserate. Glad to hear that you're okay!

Meredith said...

I'm still as upbeat and positive as I can be. I really don't have time for blogging, but I also don't have time for people's negative comments, which I got a few of that I've deleted. In fact, I broke up with bipolar Alex because he was a huge emotional drain; there's a difference between being depressed and being negative beyond reason. I then also avoided a dating situation with another friend for the same reason. It's been a challenge attempting to stay upbeat, but I think I'm doing okay. I'll try to comment here with more regularity so we can stay in touch. Also, my personal blog is http://automaticdoor.livejournal.com, though a lot of the sensitive stuff is restricted.

SBWRITES said...

Meredith,
Glad to hear it! I couldn't agree more about people who drain your energy and give nothing back in return. If you're identifying them at this stage in your life, that's great. I will check out your personal blog! Glad to know that you'll stay in touch!

Susan

Anonymous said...

Thank you for your positive attitude. For great recovery stories check out these sites:

Mental Health Recovery & WRAP
www.mentalhealthrecovery.com

National Empowerment Center
www.power2u.org

Syd said...

You are really on to something here Susan! Although I'm fairly recently diagnosed (not quite 1 year), I share your perceptions of a lot of bipolar literature and blogs. If I'd believed half of what I read, I'd probably have just given up by now.

But thankfully I didn't give up, I found your blog and I started my own Bipolarity. I'm so happy to find that there are at least a few of us out here who've decided that we're going to live our lives to the fullest, despite what others think and say about being bipolar!

Syd

djchuang said...

I thought I was the only one that felt the bipolar stories were such a downer; now, that's not to discount how difficult it is for some people to manage their bipolar symptoms, but the circulating stories sound so extreme. Sure would be helpful to know more details and stories of what worked, rather than all the things that didn't work.

I did find a good list of famous people who've been diagnosed and/or self-described as bipolar, at:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_people_believed_to_have_been_affected_by_bipolar_disorder

.. while the list shows that people an still accomplish great things, it sure would be more helpful to hear their stories of how they survived the dark times, and what they did for treatment and management.