Friday, October 5, 2007

Mama's Poems

In appreciation of my mother, Marjorie L. Schwartz, I'm sharing a few more of her poems. What do I love about my mother? Among other things, her sense of humor, her passion, and her joi de vivre. She and my father were a match made in heaven and they deeply loved each other until he died in 1989. These were poems my mother wrote for my dad.

marriage is... (1960)
sharing...both joys and sorrows
caring
for now...and our tomorrows
loving with warmth and true compassion
understanding each other...in his fashion
empathy...one for another
the wonders of being a father and mother
mutual trust with a love for living
but mostly marriage
is the joy of giving.


Color Me Blonde
(1973)
Helene Curtis has kept me blonde
for more years than I'd care to say
but the problem has grown
my cool has blown
now that my pubic hairs have turned to gray!



A Diet...Try It (March, 1974)
We burn 200 calories
when we screw
but what in the hell am I going to do?
i'm so sad that I could weep
i get hungry and you go to sleep.


Happy Anniversary (November, 1975)
Where did we go right for 32 years?
Why was there more laughter than tears?
Come on Berny..what did we do?
Was it your expansive penis...
or my womb with a view?

4 comments:

Meredith said...

Those poems are hilarious! Well, the first one is sweet, but the rest are so funny and true. (As a bottle blonde whose real color is light brown, I dread the day it becomes obvious!)

Syd said...

Wow. Your mom is something else! I would have loved to have known her when she was writing these! :)

Dianne said...

Very funny. I write poems too. It's good to hear poems that are light hearted and funny. I also wished I could have known your mom.
I also write a blog in blogger. It's dianneferia.blogspot.com
Feel free to check it out.
Dianne

Wellness Writer said...

Dear Diane,
Thanks for your comment. I've been in a deep depression, and I apologize for not responding sooner. I appreciate the comment about my mother. I'll check out your blog as soon as I'm able to.

Susan