Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Change

We're off to take our son to his college orientation; he'll begin in January. It seemed like a few quotes on change might be appropriate. They are from a wonderful new book I'm reading, The Way of Transition: Embracing Life's Most Difficult Moments, by William Bridges, Ph.D.

"There is no sin punished more implacably by nature than the sin of resistance to change."
--Anne Morrow Lindberg

"There is a time for departure, even when there's no certain place to go."
--Tennessee Williams

"Through loyalty to the past, our mind refuses to realize that tomorrow's joy is possible only if today's makes way for it; that each wave owes the beauty of its line only to the withdrawal of the receding one."
--Andre Gide

"I have begun to have an idea of my life, not as the slow shaping of achievement to fit my preconceived purposes, but as the gradual discovery and growth of a purpose which I did not know."
--Joanna Field

6 comments:

JayPeeFreely said...

Best of luck to your son...

I guess we all can say college can change you...hopefully for the better, or certainly, richer, ;)

Bipolar Wellness Writer said...

Thanks Jason!

Rebecca said...

Okay, this is off topic. I just want to say I am blown away by your approach. It makes so much sense. I am bipolar and lately I have been cycling EVERY SIX WEEKS. Now, when I am well, I live with dread that a depression will destroy me again. So I guess I have been anticipating, maybe unconsiously inviting the episodes. Your blog has given me a lot to think about. Thanks. By the way I am on SIX psychiatric drugs!

Bipolar Wellness Writer said...

Rebecca,
It's always okay to be off topic. I'm delighted that you like my approach. I must tell you it took a whole lot of pain and suffering to get here--from there.

During a decade, five different psychiatrists prescribed 25 different medications in different combinations, and dosages. And I got sicker and sicker.

Finally, I was diagnosed as a treatment resistant rapid cycler (and it was all medication induced). I'm not "against medication" per se, but it sure didn't work for me.

What I do believe is that we're all capable of changing our lives (and healing) by developing new insights and coping skills.

My favorite new book (actually it's the only book I like) on depression is Brain Switch by A.B. Curtis and her technique is one that I've been using without knowing the name.

Anyway, welcome to our community. I'm out of town but I'll be writing more about Brain Switch in the future.

Susan

Syd said...

Susan,

These quotes are awesome. Yet again, you've posted exactly what I needed to hear at the exact time I needed to hear it. Thank you for sharing.

Of course I'm hoping that you have a wonderful trip and that you'll be able to get some much-deserved rest.

On a side note, just how many books do you read at one time? LOL

marja said...

"I have begun to have an idea of my life, not as the slow shaping of achievement to fit my preconceived purposes, but as the gradual discovery and growth of a purpose which I did not know."
--Joanna Field

This is my favorite quote and so true! Life can be a magical mystery tour if you let it be. Best not to force your own agenda.

I was wondering the same thing as Syd was: How many books do you read at a time?