Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Wellness Activities

While I'd like to be able to continue writing about the process of brainswitching that I talked about yesterday, I realize that I'm too stressed out to be able to do it justice. So, I'll finish this series next week.

In the meantime, I know that stress can cause a depressive episode so I'm doing everything in my power to focus on wellness. For me, that means the following:

1. I know that exercise is very important, so I'm walking every day, whether I feel like it or not.

2. I also know that thinking too much about depression actually causes it. So...I am consciously refusing to think about past depressions or to categorize what I'm feeling as depressive symptoms.

3. For me, music clears my mind. It's my version of mindfulness meditation. Thus, I'm carrying my harmonica in my pocket and playing it numerous times during the day.

4. I know that disappointment in people can cause a depressive episode. While the behavior of some people in my life has been shameful, I am consciously refusing to think about it. It's not that I forgive them; rather I refuse to think about them at all.

5. I am spending time outside because I know that sunlight helps stabilize my mood.

6. I am giving myself permission to refrain from doing any work that causes stress and to extend deadlines, whenever possible.

7. I am spending very little time online because for me--reading blogs that are not uplifting--has a negative effect.

8. I am writing to heal.

9. I am sharing my feelings with my friends and with my extended family members (who are supportive) and finding comfort in their responses.

10. I am spending time with people who love me.

2 comments:

Syd said...

What a great prescription for avoiding or minimizing depression. I admire your focus and commitment to your own healing and wellness. Thanks for sharing. You've inspired me!

JayPeeFreely said...

Thanks for your comment. If you get back by, you'll see my response to that.

I like your tips...sometimes I have neglected sunlight (probably due to drive all night long from 1AM to 6AM) as a source of my moodiness.

Exercise: I'm planning to buy some new jogging shoes when I get paid next.

Love ones: next.

Staying off line: yep, that can be a solver.

Anywho, it's always nice to see your blog. At least it has some meat to go with the bone. I like my babyback, babyback, babyback RIBS!!! ( In Chicago, they got a place called MOO & OINK that is pretty good...)

Was that totally off the subject!!! :)