Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Bipolar Holidays (Part 2)

The more I thought about yesterday's post, the more convinced I am that holidays are a big problem. I want to thank JayPeeFreely and Syd for their comments. I hope that "anonymous" came back to read them.

I wonder why it is that holidays are so difficult for so many people. Is it because we have wonderful (or terrible) memories of holidays when we were children? Do we imagine that everyone else is having better holidays than we are. Is it that the cinematic view of holidays is so much better than reality?

Or is it because holidays--particularly in the United States--have become so commercialized that people forget the real purpose of the celebrations. When I was young, my mother wrote the following poem:

The Thanksgiving turkey
is still in deep freeze,
but the streets are lined
with Christmas trees.

I remember laughing at the poem, oh so many years ago. Now, it seems a bit sad to me. So far, two people have written comments about dreading holidays and I've addressed both of them in posts. But, rather than dwell on the negative side of the holidays, I'd like to hear the "good stuff" about your favorite holiday, be it Thanksgiving, Hanukkah, Christmas, Kwanzaa, or any other day.
  • What is your favorite holiday and why?
  • What do you do that makes it special?
  • What special memories do you have of holidays past?
  • What's your favorite holiday food?
  • What is the favorite gift you got as a child?
  • What tips do you have for making holidays less stressful?
If you share yours, I'll share mine!

1 comment:

JayPeeFreely said...

Surprisely, the best present I got was a football and tee when I was like 7 or 8. We lived in Tennessee, and for some odd reason, we had money and peace that holiday. I got tons of presents, but that one, from my grandparents (mother's side) was cool. I had that football and tee for the remainder of my childhood. (Probably in the garage somewhere.)

Halloween is to me the best. As my post described, I had interestig Halloweens. I did a seance one time. Once got chased with a chainsaw in a haunted school. Got a "good date" on Halloween night - watching scary movies and getting some play as a 15-16 year old is always memorable.

The problem has been with relatives at holidays. Though I haven't mention "all of it", family has several generations of that going on. I've wanted good cheer, but someone or something spoils the event.

Now, I just escape wherever I can. Unfortunately, a bar is a good place to do it - losers a plenty there. So I fit.