Monday, September 10, 2007

Vacation Therapy

My husband, son, and I spent a glorious two days in Santa Barbara, CA--although I took an entire week off from blogging.

It's amazing how wonderful new vistas are for the soul. It's not only a beautiful beach community but our favorite motel, the Franciscan Inn, has a lovely little pool where I went swimming every day--which is a real tonic for me.

We ate at wonderful restaurants, the Paradise Cafe (always a favorite with its oak wood grill giving the oh-so-fresh fish and vegetables a unique taste) and Arigato, which is the best sushi restaurant I've ever been to (and this is the third time we've eaten there).

Our first evening, there was a terrific Farmer's Market on State Street, which is the main drag. Also, I shot some wonderful photographs at the Marina, and I went to Chaucer's Books, one of my very favorite bookstores.

We also went to Elings Park, which has a very touching Veterans War Memorial, I bought a few photographic items (for my class) at Samy's Camera, and we shopped at The Walking Company, which may be my new favorite shoe store (I'm not a big shopper but for some reason I enjoy shopping on vacations).

While I've taken more adventuresome vacations and traveled to foreign countries (many years ago), I can't remember when I've enjoyed myself more.

P.S. One of the new books I bought, which I'm enjoying so much is The Best Travel Writing 2007, which is published by Traveler's Tales, and Brainswitch Out of Depression: Break the Cycle of Despair by A.B. Curtis. She may be on to something!

Stay tuned!

3 comments:

JayPeeFreely said...

Sounds like you had a wonderful and relaxing time...Getting away is something that often appeals to me. ;)


Nice also to see you could "not blog" and not be too upset. Some likely couldn't resist the temptation to blog, even on VaCa.

GAY BIPOLAR GUY said...

I'm glad you had such a good time. It sounds like manic-depression wasn't an issue then. My friend, Amy, and I have a rule: once a month we drive out to somewhere non-urban for a day. It's a great tonic. It's great to have you posting once again.

Cami Black said...

I've been wanting to hear about your vacation...so now I know. The picture is beautiful! Nothing like the beach for relaxation. Glad you, Bernie & Alex had a great time!
cb