Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Travel Therapy

For the last 14 years or so, September has been a difficult month for me. I'm sure it has to do with the changing season--even in Los Angeles. But...in anticipation of this and trying to stave off a possible depressive episode, I'm spending much more time outdoors and trying to walk every day.

Ordinarily, some of the stress that has been on my plate--an aging mother who was hospitalized for five days, a beloved uncle who was hospitalized for three days, a sick dog (we're waiting for the biopsy), and now a very sick friend--might trigger a mood swing, but I vowed not to let this happen.

So, I'm not pushing myself in any way. If I'm tired, I take a nap. If I feel stressed, I spend time doing my own relaxation exercises, which usually involve playing music, or reading uplifting books that help me look at the world in a new way.

Also, my husband and I rented a slew of DVDs from the library, featuring Rudy Maxa, who hosts PBS Smart Travels, and is a contributing editor to National Geographic Traveler magazine. Each night, we've been transported to some wonderful European country. Tonight, it was Sweden, Norway, and Denmark. Sometimes, I believe that the best salve for the soul is to concentrate on new vistas that make your heart soar!

1 comment:

alex said...

I'm surfing on u blog,look great,
well,thinks for you info
mate&travel,vacation