Thursday, September 20, 2007

Seeking Wellness (Part 1)

I was talking with a friend who suffers from clinical depression and he said, "Don't you think there are some people who just don't want to get well?"

"What do you mean?" I asked.

"Well, you know how hard you worked to try to get well when you were so sick? You read everything there was to read about depression and manic-depression. You took your medication religiously. You tried mega-vitamins, acupuncture, therapy, naturopathy and a host of other activities that didn't work. But you didn't quit. You found that doctor of integrative medicine, and continued your research, and starting exercising regularly and playing music, and well...you get my point."

"Yeah," I said.

"I did the same thing, and now we're both well--most of the time."

"It's a miracle, isn't it?" I said.

"It is," he answered. "But I don't believe in miracles. I believe that if you work hard enough, and are willing to pursue every available option, and you use all of your energy to try and get well, then the odds of getting well are far greater for us than for people who don't."

(to be continued)

1 comment:

Syd said...

Wow! I can't wait to read the rest of this post. I'm convinced that you and your friend are really on to something here.

I was "sick" in one way or another for so long that I'd forgotten what it felt like to be well. The day I realized that I was afraid to be well because being sick had become my comfort zone, I knew it was time to make some drastic changes.

I still have bad days, but I no longer consider myself sick and I've decided that being well is much better! It's empowering, but also depressing, to realize that the process of getting well was not facilitated by my doctors. They were very little help, and in fact, usually ended up making things worse.

Wellness is a process. It's not easy, but the rewards are well worth the effort!

Keep spreading the good news, Susan!

Syd
Bipolarity