Thursday, August 2, 2007

Seasonal Affective Disorder

Yesterday was the first day that I could truly feel the difference in my mood. While I had a lovely day and got a lot accomplished, by dinner time, I was dragging. For the first time in months I had to force myself to take my dogs for their evening walk.

It's not clear to me how much of this is due to the fact that I've spent most of the last two weeks indoors working on my manuscript. While I try to limit my writing and editing work to six hours at a stretch, the last few days I've worked far longer spells.

But...since my goal is to stave off a change of mood in September, I've started developing lists of fun activities for the entire month. Given how important direct sunlight is for me, I'll have to make sure that I'm spending lots of time outside.

While I plan on walking every day, I also look forward to my new darkroom photography class, which starts Friday. The upside to the class is that I'm really excited to learn a new skill. The downside is that it meets for 4 1/2 hours every Friday--three of which are spent in the darkroom.

So...to counter the inside time, I'm going to do my daily walk (3.2 miles around the neighborhood park) soon after I awaken. And...I'm planning on swimming laps after class in the pool at the Santa Monica College Swim Center. As you can see by the photograph, it's really great!

I'm also going to talk to my husband about planting a new herb garden. He's the gardener in the family but I've been reading this terrific book, French Women Don't Get Fat: The Secret of Eating for Pleasure by Mireille Guiliano about French cooking and I've decided that an herb garden would be a terrific outside project for September.

Actually, the planning of my schedule for September is turning out to be great fun. Stay tuned!

No comments: