Sunday, August 5, 2007

The Mozart Effect

One of my favorite books on the healing power of music is The Mozart Effect: Tapping the Power of Music to Heal the Body, Strengthen the Mind, and Unlock the Creative Spirit by Don Campbell. The following are some quotes from this book.

"In an instant, music can uplift our soul. It awakens within us the spirit of prayer, compassion, and love. It clears our minds and has been known to make us smarter.

"Music can dance and sing our blues away. It conjures us memories of lost lovers or deceased friends. It lets the child in us play, the monk in us pray, the cowgirl in us line dance, the hero in us surmount all obstacles. It helps the stroke patient find language and expression..."

"Yet it is more than all those things. It is the sounds of earth and sky, of tides and storms. It is the echo of a train in the distance, the pounding reverberations of a carpenter at work."

"From the first cry of life to the last sigh of death, from the beating of our hears to the soaring of our imaginations, we are enveloped by sound and vibration every moment of our lives. It is the primal breath of creation itself, the speech of angels and atoms, the stuff of which life and dreams, souls and stars, are ultimately fashioned."

I play the Autoharp and the banjitar and I'm learning how to play the harmonica. What do you play?

2 comments:

JayPeeFreely said...

Air drums! I had a drum at age 5, but like all kids age 5, parents are not to thrilled with your banging it all the time.

If I had the money and time, drums would be my passion. (i have the drumsticks; just need the kit.)

have a great day!

Daily Dose said...

I Love the quotes and they are so true...I love music myself and I tend to be very versatile with music.

I could go from Michael Buble' to Elton John to Rod Stewart to Michael Jackson to Barbara Streisand.

My music collection is definetely an array of different genre.