Thursday, July 26, 2007

Our Doctors

(The graphic is of Hippocrates, the "father of medicine.")

Why is it that when we all have problems, and give each other suggestions, no one says, "I've talked to my doctor and he/she had this great advice for me."

Do any of you--other than Marja--have doctors you like? Do you feel that they're knowledgeable about your illness? Are they knowledgeable about medication? Are they making good recommendations for wellness tips? Do they help you sort out issues relating to your illness?

I'm just wondering. Although I genuinely like my current psychiatrist, I only see him a couple of times a year. One of the reasons is that I'm currently not carrying health insurance (I'm sure I've written about this earlier. After years of paying top dollar for lousy coverage, they canceled me when I tried to get more reasonable coverage. The reason? I'm medication resistant and don't use the typical bipolar medications. But that's a different issue.)

Anyway, over the last 14 years, I've seen five different psychiatrists--all of whom were highly recommended. Across the board--other than my current doctor--I would say that they had such a negative and limited view of this illness that it's astounding.

I'm interested in other points of view on this.

If you don't want to talk about your doctor, I'd be interested in what kind of care you'd ideally like. Thanks.

5 comments:

Daily Dose said...

I like my psychiatrist and counselor. At first, when I was diagnosed with Bipolar - I wasn't sure what to believe.

But the truth is, although we know our bodies and what we feel - do we truly and honestly understand the illness?

We didn't go to school for psychiatry - they did.

I think that we have to open our minds and trust others to help us - if we don't - we will never have Peace of Mind.

~Tery

marja said...

You mentioned that I like my psychiatrist, but I don't like everything about him. I think it would be pretty hard to find someone who is good in every respect.

Like Tery said, though, it's good to be able to trust. Peace of mind is a good thing for our mental well-being.

GAY BIPOLAR GUY said...

After a severe physical crisis due to toxic over-medication, the neurologist set my dosages at extremely lower levels. I see my same psychiatrist merely for him to extend my prescriptions. Now, he again wishes to up dosages. I made it clear, "No way!" The instances of mania are, to me, controllable, and I have not had one depressive episode, except when I recently stopped taking meds. My bad!

Marie said...

My first therapist Carol was wonderful. Her speciality was counseling abuse survivors. She was a crucial step in my healing process.

Carrie said...

What matters most to me in a psychiatrist is someone who will handle BOTH my medication and my therapy. I don't like to take medicine and so I enjoy seeing someone that will work with my ideals.

That being said, its extremely hard to work within the structure of my insurance company! I end up paying out of pocket, ARGH.