Friday, July 6, 2007

Bipolar Blowin' in the Wind

As many of you who read my blog with regularity may know, I play a number of instruments. Some, I'm fairly good at; others I play badly.

Over the years, I've taken up different instruments during hypomanias. So, I've played the banjo, accordion, ukulele, harmonica, electric guitar, and now the Autoharp (I've got one just like the Chromaharp that's pictured above, which is available from the Harp Doctor in case you're interested).

When I was a kid, I played the violin (in the sixth grade), the piano (for a few years in junior high school and I was quite awful) and the guitar for many years (I play fairly well).

During prior hypomanias and depressions as well, I've written lyrics to songs I like. Since I mentioned a few days ago how much I like Blowin' in the Wind (by Bob Dylan), I thought I'd share my lyrics. Some of my lyrics are funnier than others. I wrote this one, which is quite sad to me, a few years ago during a long depressive episode.

Talkin' To Your Shrink
(Sung to Blowin' in the Wind)

How many years must this illness exist
before you're allowed to be well?
How many times can you have such dark thoughts
and feel like you're living in Hell?
How many broken hearts can you mend
before you hear death's sorry knell?
The answer you fink comes from talkin' to your shrink,
The answer comes from talkin' to your shrink.

How many unanswered prayers can you pray
before your God you forsake?
How many years can you survive such loss
before your heart it does break?
How many times can you face each new day
before you choose not to awake?
The answer you fink comes from talkin' to your shrink,
The answer comes from talkin' to your shrink.

How many meds can one person take
before she is willing no more?
How many times can she re-emerge
before it's too much of a chore?
How many years can she try to be strong
to protect those that she does adore?
The answer you fink comes from talkin' to your shrink,
The answer comes from talkin' to your shrink.

3 comments:

GAY BIPOLAR GUY said...

Oh, I definitely like your lyrics much better. I never could relate to Dylan's lyrics, but these work a lot better. Your's sounds like a real people song.

Bipolar Wellness Writer said...

Thanks Staggo!

Susan

Eileen said...

I want to share this with my daughter. She is 15 and diagnosed with bi polar. She is having such a hard time. Music is her lifeline. Thanks.