Sunday, June 24, 2007

A Sense of Community

Today's post is devoted to Marja Bergen, who writes Roller Coaster. She and her husband have gone fishing (literally). But before she left, she emailed me to let me know that her article, Mental Disorders: The Result of Sin? has just been published.

In her blog, she wrote, "Please have a look. The exciting thing is that there is a place for comments. Another place for dialog on the issues I'm so passionate about."

So I felt that I'd like to throw a little publicity her way. What's so extraordinary about our little bipolar community is how supportive we are of each other. As I mentioned in an earlier post, a few months ago when I began blogging, Marja was the first person to write a comment, and I was thrilled.

I'm not sure how she found my blog. Possibly it was because of a post I'd made about The Reverend Malcolm Boyd, a gay episcopal priest and family friend, who wrote the book, Are You Running with Me Jesus?

In that posting, I did say that I'm Jewish and that there might be people who would consider it a bit strange that I sought guidance from a priest rather than my rabbi. In truth, I sought guidance from both. At the time I was very sick and I was desperate for answers.

Anyway, the point is that Marja responded and she has been reading me ever since, always providing timely comments to my posts, and showing a rare degree of compassion, and empathy. While we come from different faiths, I believe we share many of the same values.

So...while she's away with her husband, watching him fish (a non-hobby we share in common; we both prefer reading in the great outdoors to fishing but we're happy to watch our husbands pursue their passion), and probably writing, and taking some great photographs, I hope that all of us will read her article, make comments, and let her know how pleased we are for her success.

1 comment:

marie said...

I too have just starting reading her blog. She has a lot of comforting things to say. I am especially glad that she works with Christian leaders to educate them about bi-polar and other mental ailments.

I plan to buy her book. Since I was diagnosed in 2005 I too have been riding a "roller coaster" of emotions which manifest themselves in my writing.

I plan to post another poem on my blog today. Stop by when you can.

Please take care.