Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Hypomania Revisited (Part 1)

Although I already wrote about hypomania, I'm not sure I can write about it enough since so much of what I've read--over the years--has been a complete waste of time. So let's revisit it once again.

For the last few weeks, I've been feeling hypomanic. There were days when I awakened and felt marginally depressed but once I took a small amount of medication, it went away. However, I know a full-fledged hypomania is upon me when I stop taking anti-depressant medication and still feel great upon awakening. (For those of you who are new to this blog, I'm medication resistant and all mood stabilizers make me feel worse, not better.)

So, after all of these years with all I have learned, how do I handle a hypomania? Well, the first thing I do is exercise. Usually, I try to walk but this morning I decided to garden, and I use the term loosely.

Today is the day our gardeners come and I decided that I needed to prune a bunch of shrubs and a few trees so that they could do the clean up. Many years ago, my husband used to kid me that I should actually pursue a career in the demolition business.

"Prune" is not exactly the word I would use for what I used to do; "plant reduction" might be a more appropriate phrase.

However, I don't do that anymore. Instead, when I attacked (possibly too harsh a word) the bougainvillea, which had gotten way out of control, I carefully pruned it. I also "pruned" our neighbor's bottle bush plant which hangs over her fence onto our driveway and mucks up my car.

As pretty as these red flowers look, they are sticky and you can't imagine how messy they are on a nice clean car. So, every so often I cut them back--on my side of the fence.

From there, I cleaned up some shrubs further down the driveway that were hitting my car as I backed down our fairly steep driveway each day. I also cut back the birds of paradise that smack me in the face each day because I have to stick my head out the window in order to back out carefully.

After about 45 minutes of plant reduction, one would think I would feel a tiny bit tired...but no...indeed. Still, I showered, and cautiously went forth into the universe, careful to stay on top of all "hypomanic behavior" as a good BIP should.

Tomorrow...I'll talk about how I control "spending money" during a hypomania. Stay tuned!

No comments: